Thought Spoken

(Double D)

I opened the trap door leading to the hide out from the sewer and climbed out. I turned as Stephen passed up the bags of supplies for this month. It has been so long since I have been to the Surface that I am paler than I originally was.

I carried my armful into the main area where I found Kevin using a somehow sturdy pipe for one armed pull ups. Eddy sat in a ragged seat staring at his communicator.

"We have returned." Stephen announced from behind me catching both of the young adults' attention.

Kevin dropped down and approached. "What did ya bring this time?" he asked. "Something with coffee and sugar I hope." The ex-ranger took a few bags from my load and assisted us to the makeshift kitchen that consisted of a few dislodged cabinets and a cooking fire with pots and pans lying about in neat, clean mounds.

"I believe those items are in one of the bags Stephen carries." I replied softly with a nod of greeting to my seated friend. The orange haired male sighed, his previous content mood dropping in an instant. Curious, this seems to happening more often in recent months.

Is something upsetting Kevin?

Don't ask me. His other self is a pain to talk to. I can't get a word out of him without some pick up line in the middle.

I set the bags by one of the cabinets with a soft sigh before starting on putting the contents away. Kevin usually is very outspoken on his thoughts or rather expressive that one could tell if he didn't like something. It's obvious he doesn't like Stephen but I wonder why.

I'm pretty sure he sees your discomfort with Boneheads' overly touchy-feelly habits.

That is a possibility, I thought, though I try to make positive of it I probably show my discomfort.

"Hey Double D." a voice called my attention followed with a mechanical arm waving over my line of sight.

I blinked, returning to the reality around me. "Y-yes, Kevin?" I looked to my formerly assigned partner. He had a curiously concerned looked in his green eyes.

"You sorta spaced out for a while." he explained. "Y' didn't even say bye when the creep left." 

Then I noticed the kitchen area was missing a helping person. "Oh my," I murmured in surprised. "I was stuck in thought." I giggled softly to myself.

"About what?" he asked, making me look up into his eyes. I was quickly reminded when the other Kevin had caught me with a similar look down in the sewers.

I shook the memory away. "You just have been seeming troubled lately." I responded. "Is something wrong?"

Kevin noticeable stiffened at my question yet attempted to wave it off as if I was incorrect. "Nothing is wrong D." He grinned charmingly. "At least aside from the lack of running water and a desperate need for a shower, I'm fine." My companion seemed so confident in what he was saying, but I could see that it was a facade.

"Kevin." I sighed in disappointment. "I've learned to observe the physical reaction of a person that wants to hide something. It is pointless to lie to me." That sunk his facade and his shoulders drooped.

"It's just the slow planning to infiltrate the Facility got me concerned." he said after a moment of silent. "Anyone one here could be a backstabber and turn us over to the high council. Also the number of guards that protect the structure of the place versus the minimum number of our group." He lifted his hand to rub the back of his neck. Then his crumpled into a heap causing my alert.

"Kev-"

He was standing again, albeit a bit unsteady on his feet. The shade of green in his eyes changed to the jade from before. "Nice to always see you Eddward." the other Kevin greeted with a flirtatious type of grin. "Also Kevin is lying." he stated. "The real issue is-" His own hand covered his mouth with an audible smack leaving the rest of the sentence a muffled sequence of curses and swear words to his frustration. Curious.