Payments

BEEEEEEEEEP

The beeping stops. Everything in my mind is in a haze. No tears are shed, not yet anyway. I don't think anyone really reacts to it at first. I guess at the moment we don't see the reality of what's happening. Our minds are in a state of shock. We believe that it's not happening. That we'll see them again one day. But we won't. And everything will crumble within us when we finally accept to see it.

I slowly rise from the chair not taking my eyes away from her body. For fear that she would disappear. I felt a hand touch my shoulder. I didn't move one inch. I stood there.

"Miss, I would appreciate if you could wait outside while we handle this." the doctor gently ushered me out the door.

The realizations hit people sooner than others. But it's all the same pain once it begins. Salty tears ran down my face. This can't be happening, I thought. Only a few silent tears were let out because I was being stubborn as hell. The doctor came and took his clipboard out, looking at me expectantly. Everything was a blur. I didn't care about anything. He was talking to me but all I could hear were Mary's last words. Her death wish. I signed some papers he gave me and left as soon as I was done. This hospital was the last place I wanted to be.

For two years Mary and I had roamed the hospital corridors talking about foolish things. Having our meals at her bed. Always cracking jokes about the hospital food and taking guesses at what they'd be serving the next day. We'd gossip about the hospital drama. How one nurse was in love with Mary's doctor but the doctor was in love with the secretary. Even though every time Mary insisted that the doctor loved her not the secretary. The old man was about her age. His hair was grey and actually pretty thick still. You'd think with him being a doctor and all he'd look twice his age. But in fact, it was the complete opposite. He looked younger but his hair always gave his away. I always wondered why he didn't just try dying it. Come to think of it, I had forgotten to thank him. He had tried all he could for the past two years. They say that doctors grow fond of their patients. That when they suffer, they do too. And when they can't help them any longer they feel useless. I figured I'd send him a note through his beloved secretay. It was too soon to face anybody at the moment. This place had been our home for the last two years. I wish it hadn't. I wish Mary wouldn't have spent the last years of her life in a hospital.

I walked in complete silence with no train of thought to my place. A few blocks later and I had finally arrived. I took a glance at the small house. I wasn't even sure if I could consider it a house. The woman in charge wasn't around. I decided against going in. So I took off. I just roamed the streets. Kicking pebbles off the curb. I had expected I'd cry but I hadn't. Somehow, I just couldn't bring myself to cry or feel anything for that matter. This was how I had always dealt with grief. Nothing. I could feel nothing. Only Mary's last words.

Find my son.

I didn't know what she had meant but before I could ask, she was gone. I was determined to find her son. I just didn't know where to begin...

"Camille! I called the police! I thought you'd died or comitted suicide!" said a woman's voice interrupting my thoughts. I turned around to look at the intruder.

"What the hell do you want? Last time I checked I was the last person on your mind." I answered coldly to Eva. She was the landlord or whatever you want to call it. The point is she collected the rent money.

"It's October. The first." she replied with a hint of amusement as if she'd gotten under my skin. Which of course she hadn't. In fact I had no idea what she was talking about.

"I know what day it is. I'm not stupid. Don't test my patience Eva." even I scared myself with the way I answered her. She rose her eyebrows looking at me like she couldn't believe I'd dare talk to her in that way.

"If your mother hadn't died today, I wouldn't think twice of kicking you to the curb. Audience included. Your rent is overdue." she threatened. But I saw a hint of fear in her eyes.

"I'm aware but as I no longer will be living in it I won't be paying for it." I reply cooly. Eva chuckles at this, clearly not because she was humoured.

"Your stay has been long overdue so I'll make sure you pay. One way or another. Don't test my patience." she tested me.

"You're empty threats mean nothing to me. But talk to me in that tone again and I'll end your life at this very instance" I retorted

"I'm sure you would. As for your rent, hand over the money or get your crap out of the house."

"Darn, I have to leave? That was my dream home. Rats and all." I replied sarcastically. Her eyes widened in horror at my statement.

"Think twice before you answer me like that you bastard. You don't want to end up in a hospital like your-"

I cut her off before she could end her sentence. In a blink of an eye I had her pinned on the wall. My hands were cupped violently on her neck. Holding her up agaisnt the wall so I could choke her. Already her face was turning red.

"GO to hell you-" she choked out but she never finished because I dropped her. She fell to the ground with a thud. Grasping her sore neck. She snapped up her head to look at me with violent eyes.

"You'll regret that you idiot!" She roared.

I would've stayed there but my gut worked my brain and so I left. I had no energy to deal with anybody. Yet, I had. It was her mentioning Mary that snapped my attention. One thing still remained in my mind.

Find my son.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

feel free to skip this part. this is in regards to the beginning of the story

so i just wanted to say something quickly in regards to the beginning. I have lost some relatives so I know what it feels like. But of course this is my perspective. Others have experienced losses in different ways. And I won't sit here and pretend to know your pain, because I don't. My only intention is to express how Camille deals with the loss and how her character copes with these situations. If I offended anyone in any way, I truly am sorry, It was not my intention to do so. But of course, sometimes I say dumb things and don't realize the impact of the words until after. So once again my deep apologies to anyone I offended.

I had been debating wether or not to show a picture for Camille. I'd rather much let you imagine how she looks like. But if you prefer an image it is there. That is how I imagine her. Feel free to change who you see Camille as. Thank you so much for reading !!!

- Victoria

DONT FORGET TO VOTE/COMMENT, THANKS!!