9

I woke to a light knock on my bedroom door. It was too soft to be Liam's and I didn't recognize the scent of whomever stood on the other side.

It had to be Azrael's girl. I rolled my eyes at the thought of dealing with her on any level. I could always pretend to be asleep. She wouldn't know the difference.

She knocked again, slightly louder this time. Zeus grunted at the interruption of our nap. He stretched out next to me and absently licked my hand.

"What," I called.

The door opened and she poked her head inside. I had no idea what her name was. I had no intention of finding out either. I didn't care.

"Anna?" She questioned.

"What do you want?"

"I just wanted to talk. I owe you an explanation."

"What you owe me is some solitude. I don't want to talk to you. I don't care what you have to say."

She tucked her straight black hair behind her ear and fidgeted with the ends.

"I didn't know about you at first," she tried.

I rolled my eyes and slipped out of bed.

"I don't care."

"I think you do though," she said softly. "It wasn't right and as soon as I found out I told him to break things off with you."

I nodded slowly. "Like I said, I don't care. He's your problem now."

She frowned at my words. "He's not a problem. He's a gift, Anna."

I let out a laugh at her ridiculous statement. "Yeah, okay. This is what he does. Azrael is very convincing. I'll give him that."

She shook her head. "You're wrong. He regrets what he did to you."

"So? He still did it. He did the same thing to another servant here. You're just another tally mark for him. A way to pass eternity and when he finds something fresh and new he'll do the same to you."

"Are you still in love with him?"

"Absolutely not. I have someone that genuinely cares about me and respects me. Azrael didn't do either of those things for me."

As I said it, I realized that was exactly what I had with Liam. He valued me on a level that Azrael never touched. What I had with Liam was genuine.

"Are you sure you're not in love with him?"

"Would it matter if I was?"

She shrugged her shoulders and continued to play with the ends of her hair. "I don't know. Probably not."

"Then why ask the question?"

"I need to know if you're going to try to get him back."

I shook my head. "Been there done that. I want nothing to do with Azrael now or ever. Don't say I didn't warn you though."

"I wish you could understand what we have, Anna. I don't think you would be this bitter if you understood."

It took everything in me not to lash out at her. She was either conniving or completely oblivious and I couldn't decide which was the lesser of two evils.

"I'm not bitter. I don't care that he is messing around with you. He could have sex with half the planet and I wouldn't care. If you want to be with him then do it. Don't worry about what I'm doing."