3

He stared at me for a moment.

Just stared. He didn't say anything to me.

"Well that explains a lot," he commented.

"You're not mad?"

He tossed me a light smile. "There are worse things than being part seraph. It's so far back in your lineage, I'm shocked I could even detect it."

"How do you know it's that far back?"

"By how weak it is in your blood. It's barely there."

"What if it was more recent?"

"That would be a deal breaker for most, but I created you. You could be a complete sociopath and I would overlook it."

"But if you hadn't created me we would be having a different conversation?"

"No. Being part seraph only matters to angels and demons. I couldn't care less as long as you're not some sort of were creature."

"So it really doesn't bother you?"

"No and if that's part of the reason Azrael left you, he's an idiot."

I half smiled. "He said that's not why, but judging by the way Michael reacted I'm sure it has something to do with it."

"He doesn't deserve you, Anna. I hope you know that."

"That's sweet of you," I said. I didn't agree with him, but I wasn't going to argue my point.

"Yes, well, maybe we should set some boundaries on this. Whatever this is," he said.

I rolled on my stomach and propped myself up on my elbows.

"Like what?"

"You're the one that said you didn't want any emotion."

I shrugged. "I don't."

"So tell me what you want."

"I don't know," I admitted. "I just don't want to complicate things."

"I don't either."

"Do you want to do this again?" I asked.

He looked at me like I had just asked him something obscene. "Of course I want to."

"Good," I said with a smile. "How does this work? I mean, do I give you a signal when I want you?" I joked.

He laughed. "I don't think a signal will be necessary, but I do have one question. What happens if one of us finds someone to be in a relationship with?"

"Then we stop."

"Just like that?"

"Yes. I won't be that girl . . . I don't want people finding out about this."

"I wish I could say I didn't mind, but it would be unbecoming of a king to be sleeping with someone that's not a royal."

"I figured as much."

"Don't get me wrong," he quickly amended. "I'm not trying to say you're not important-"

I laughed. "Liam, it's fine. I get it. I mean, it used to bother me. I guess if I was in love with you it would bother me, but you and I don't have a romantic future so it's okay."

He half smiled at me. "I'm glad you understand."

"Well, I understand, but that future slave girl you fall in love with won't understand."

He rolled his eyes. "That would never happen, Anna."

"I think it will and I'm usually right about these things."