Wings

{A/N

Okay okay before we start I have to thank a few people. They are much more popular than me, their writing is FANTASTIC and they posted my link to Twitter. So many people came and read my book because of that and I just feel so grateful for them. They are so amazing.

Love you Sarah and Miranda!!

Also this is pretty sad, but the ending hopefully makes up for it ;)}

As Mitch stared at the wing of the plane through his window, he felt the anxiety build in his tummy, sitting dormant like a rock and taunting him as the plane took off from the runway, dipping down and back in a few times before catching the air. The sun was barely setting as he projected up into the clouds, faded pinks and oranges disappearing as he flew higher and higher.

He didn't want to do this anymore. He wanted this all to be a dream. He didn't want his mother to be gone, no matter how bad she treated him. It was all just too much, and if Mitch could cry again, if he did have any tears left, he would've. But no, he didn't have anything left to give. He had put great work into his tear-ducts all of that day. When he woke up, not in his own bed, all he could do was cry, remembering the life-changing news he had received the day before.

He remembered how Scott sat next to him and just let him cry, not even touching him, just letting him have his space but letting him know he was there if Mitch needed him. That's how they spent the whole day. Sadness hit Mitch in waves throughout the day, there were times when he was quiet and there were times when he was crying so hard he was dizzy and his thoughts didn't match up. He was barely even able to pack a bag, he was so drained mentally and physically it felt like such a daunting task. Without Scott, he wouldn't have been able to do it. Scott packed for him, and they both decided without words that Scott was coming to. Mitch didn't reject the idea, nor did he voice his approval, they both just kind of knew Mitch couldn't go alone. He was too fragile to be sent away, back to the town that held all his darkest memories alone. It would be hazardous. Mitch ended up cuddled in Scott's bed while Scott packed, and that was all they could do. Scott tried to make Mitch eat, but every time something passed through Mitch's lips he felt sick and spat it out. He felt bad, very guilty for not being able to eat Scott's amazing cooking. Pancakes with syrup and strawberries on the side. Scott told him it was okay, that he wasn't mad and threw them away. He tried, he really did, but his stomach just rejected it.

He was able to drink, though, all the tears he shed left him dehydrated to the point he had such a bad headache he had no choice but to drink. And Scott didn't complain the whole day. He just let Mitch mourn, and was there for him when he needed it. He was the best friend Mitch could've ever, possibly asked for. Mitch almost felt bad for how poorly he had treated Scott in the beginning, not giving him a a chance. In that moment his friendship with Scott was the only thing keeping him on two feet. As much as he didn't want to admit it, he probably wouldn't have made it through this without him. Now that didn't mean Scott had his trust, no one could have his trust. He was just.... A good support system for Mitch to lean on when he needed it most.

He wanted to make it up for Scott. He felt so bad that Scott was doing all this for him and he did nothing in return. It made him feel shitty, but Scott assured him it wasn't a problem. And for Scott, it really wasn't. He didn't want anything back, he just wanted Mitch to be okay. He didn't want his money back, didn't want repaid. He had enough money for that. Not that his family is snotty and stuck up, but they weren't poor. His father owned a major business, and as a kid he lived life on the good side. If he needed money, he could have it, but he was never snotty with it. He just wanted Mitch well again and he was happy to do anything he needed to get there. Any normal person wouldn't do this so quickly, go to another state with a friend he'd known for only a few weeks, but Scott wasn't a normal person. He cared for Mitch, and if he cared for some thing he did all he could to protect it.