Chapter 48 - Talia

Start from the beginning

Conrad smirked, looking amused. "And now you want me to save your life, too? Is that right? Jump on the Saving Sarah bandwagon, like some lovesick fool?" he mocked. Conrad let out a long laugh. "Sorry, but I just don't think you're worth it."

Talia grasped the spear tighter in her hand, careful to keep it hidden underneath the muddy waves. "But my baby hasn't done anything wrong. If you let us die, you'll be responsible for both of our murders."

"Do you honestly think I care about that? How stupid are you?" He laughed again and crossed the gap between them until he stood in right in front of her. "As far as I'm concerned, it'll be like killing two birds with one stone."

He bent closer and a look of confusion suddenly swept across his face. "Why did you do it, Elizabeth? Why did you sleep with our son? And why did you slash your wrists knowing I'd be the one to find you?"

Talia began to shake as his words sank in. What was he talking about? Elizabeth was Steven's mother! But before she could react, Conrad lunged toward her and slammed his fist into her temple, nearly knocking her from the ladder. Instantly, she saw flashes of white light. He punched her again, this time catching her cheekbone and she fell backward into the water with a splash. With ringing ears, Talia pushed through the lightheartedness that threatened to consume her and her fingers instinctively grasped the metal rung to keep from sinking deeper. Dropping to his knees, Conrad reached for her hand and ripped it away.

"You're a fighter, aren't you?" His lip turned up into a slow smirk and the confusion in his expression slipped away. "I like that, Sarah. It makes this all the more entertaining to watch. I think Steven would be pleased, too."

Out of the corner of her eye, Talia caught sight of a slow-moving lump underneath the water's surface and realized with horror it was moving her way.

This had to end now, before it was too late.

"It's funny," Talia began, thinking fast. Her heart was beating so loudly she was sure he could hear it. "I thought watching Steven die would be the most satisfying thing I've ever witnessed, but I was wrong."

Conrad's smirk turned into a full-blown grin. "You were wrong? And how's that?" He tightened his grip.

Very briefly, her eyes left his and peeked at the dark figure moving closer. "I think watching you die will be better."

When Conrad followed her gaze, Talia pulled on his hand, using it as leverage to lift herself closer. With an unearthly strength, a strength she didn't know she possessed, she pulled the spear from the water and aimed it toward his chest, letting out a rush of breath as the blade sunk into his body.

Blood oozed from the wound and Conrad let out a ferocious cry. He looked down at the spear and released her hand as a look of shock sprawled across his face. Slowly, his eyes found hers and he blinked in disbelief.

"Why, Elizabeth?" he whispered, the color draining from his face.

Talia glared at the father of her former husband, the man who spent years making her life hell. After all this time, she finally saw the family resemblance and somehow it made her feel stronger. Stronger than she'd felt in a very long time.

"It didn't have to be this way, but I'm not going to let you hurt my baby." Talia grasped the end of the spear with both hands. "Tell Steven that Sarah said hi." Using the last of her strength, Talia gave the rod a yank, pulling Conrad into the water next to her.

Sunlight shimmered off the blood pooling on the surface of the waves and all Talia could do was stare, mesmerized.

"Give me your hand!" someone shouted over the ringing in her ears. "Talia! Give me your hand!"

Talia's gaze followed the sound of the voice. "Charlie!"

Charlie stood inside the boat, beads of water dripping from his hair and clothing. He reached out his hand and pulled her to safety. A feeling of relief washed over her and she fell against him, exhausted. As she gasped for breath, Talia turned her head to the water just in time to watch a crocodile pull Conrad under.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Hello and thank you for reading Secrets and Lies! If you enjoyed this chapter, please leave a vote/comment!

And don't go away, we're not finished yet! The final chapter of The Secret Series will be released by this weekend and I hope it will answer all of your questions! You won't want to miss it!!!

Sending lots of hugs and love to you all,                                                                                                                         Darly