Chapter I

//

Lauren was making her way to Mr. Hernandez's study, she was clad in a white button up shirt, black jeans and Primrose riding boots that went up to her calf. With each stride, her short hair swayed in the wind. It was rare for the raven haired girl to enjoy her business trips but there was something about the Hacienda that filled her heart with joy. Well, someone. The perks of being business partners with a family friend was staying in their residence. Especially when the girl she was crushing on was also there.

Lauren never overstepped with Mr. Hernandez's daughter though. She had become infatuated with the girl nearly a decade ago when she saw her ride a horse. Lauren had accompanied her father or rather was coerced into making the trip with the promise of having someone to play with. Instead she fell in love.

Ever since that day she insisted on being with her father whenever he made the trip to Colima, Mexico. With the hope of seeing a pair of russet eyes. Now, at the age of 23 she was in charge of her father's company.

Green eyes widened, hands desperately reached out to clutch onto anything. Luckily they latched onto the railing, she had been so distracted by her lollygagging that she tripped on her own two feet.

The young woman laughed at herself and tightened her grip on the black railing; throwing her head back to remove her hair from her face. Her breath hitched, down in the courtyard was the reason why the sun didn't seem as bright.

Lauren saw the girl smile, she swore the sun's rays had been trapped in her teeth or body for she glowed. Her hands left the railing, and were replaced by her forearms. With crossed arms she regarded the girl of her dreams, her sun kissed skin, luscious hair, and those eyes. She let a long sigh through her nostrils before slowly leaning away from the railing.

"She's beautiful, wouldn't you agree?"

Lauren turned to face Mr. Hernandez, red tint slowly covering her porcelain cheeks.

"It's the kind to admire." He put a hand on her shoulder and lowered his voice. "I don't blame you for doing so."

She managed to compose herself in record time, "Mr. Hernandez I was--"

"Enjoying the view?" He laughed good naturedly, "Lauren, please, it's Jerry. It has been since you were conceived. Drop the formalities, I won't tell Mike if you don't." He winked at her.

This made Lauren smile and she shook her head fondly at the amiable man. "Well, Jerry. Shall we get down to business?" She queried.

"To defeat the huns?" He innocently quipped back.

This time Lauren didn't hold back and laughed unabashedly, slowly clapping her hands together and praising Jerry on his amazing one liner.

They made their way into his office with an affable aura and a smile adoring both of their faces.

"Did you go to the stables or were you planning on riding later in the day?" Jerry said as he rounded his desk towards his chair.

"Both actually." She sat crossing one leg over the other and with her hands placed on top of her knee.

"When are you going to court my daughter?" Jerry sat and mimicked Lauren's position.

Lauren simply shook her head and bit her lip in an attempt to keep a smile from forming. "When she's not being courted by someone else." She replied in the same tone.

"What you're saying is, if I manage to get Alexander out of the picture you'll become my daughter in law?" He was quick to bon mot.

Lauren allows herself to smile, "If your daughter ended her three year relationship, would I drop to one knee and propose?" She taps a finger on her chin pensively. "I'd have to bring it up to my girlfriend." She teases.