Unbearable

"What are you talking about," demanded Draco. "Of course it was, there was only one like it, Dung said-"

"Dung said," Harry interrupted. "That we'd know him when we saw him. That he was unique. There was only one giant bear, yeah, but there often is only one big prize at these sort of things. Aside from being big, it was pretty similar to the other bears."

Draco shook his head tiredly. "So," he said distractedly. "How does that help us?"

The bears slamming against the glass were drawing more near, and Harry figured he would rather high-tail it before he and Draco were any more outnumbered. "Come on," he said, opening the door and darting out. "I'll explain on the way."

"The way to where?"

Harry shook his head. "Just – away for now," he said.

He gently eased the handle on the door down, and caught Draco's eye with a nod. He had his wand up, ready to fire, so without any further delay Harry once again threw his weight into the door and shoved away the bears clinging to the frame. Draco then made short work of them as he fired his lightning charm several times, immobilising them enough so he and Harry could make a dash for it.

They ran as fast as they could under the Ferris wheel into a darker part of the park, where hardly any of the attractions had been turned on. They soon got lost in the shadows under the iconic image of Battersea Power Station looming in the distance, the buzz of the London traffic drifting through the night air now they were far enough away from the din of the funfair songs.

Harry stopped them near one of the narrow canals that bordered the edge of the funfair, where the organisers had set up a Tunnel of Love ride. The lights may not have been on, but the small boats kept drifting by at regular intervals, and Harry wondered if perhaps they were on a motorised track, rather than electric seeing as they were on the water.

"I think we've lost them for now," he said, rubbing his hand over where his arm had been cut before. It was still stinging and aching, and he wondered briefly how Draco was feeling after being attacked both in the funhouse and on the dodgem rink.

"That won't matter if we can't turn the bears back," Draco said, spinning his wand between his fingers as he usually did when he was stressed and thinking. "We'll be here forever if we can't make them just be teddies again."

"Right," Harry agreed. Something in the darkness caught his attention, but after staring in the direction he thought he'd seen it, he decided it was probably just the wind. "I think Dung's Alpha theory might still hold, and I reckon I might know which bear to target next."

Draco's eyebrows raised hopefully. "Okay," he said. "I'm listening. It's not like we have any other plan right now."

Harry grinned back at him. "Did you notice that bear with the knife?" he asked.

Draco looked at him shrewdly. "I might have noticed it when it was trying its best to stab through my ankles," he said, his sarcasm strong even by his waspish standards.

"Well," Harry carried on, ignoring the barb. "We know these things are reasonably clever, right? That they can learn. But I'm pretty certain that's the only bear that's learned new speech."

"He sounded like all the others," Draco dismissed, but Harry shook his head.

"Its voice sounded the same, but he was using different words – that was the one saying it didn't like us anymore and didn't want to play. And," he added. "I'm pretty certain it was the first bear we saw, the one that lead all the others to us. I reckon that could be the Alpha."