"I made you coffee and breakfast."

"You made coffee and did the preparation for me to cook breakfast."

"True." William let out a sigh and sat back on the bed. "I just don't know what you want from me."

I kissed him gently on the cheek. "As I have said, my love, I wish to be your equal, not your parent. Now I must go, I wish you luck on your interview and I shall see you after work."

I grabbed my work bag and went to the front door to put on my shoes. William did not see me to the door to give me a goodbye kiss like he usually does. But it was to be expected since I am sure I have upset him in some way.

I yelled out an "I love you" not expecting one in return and went out the door. To most people this would be a red sign in their relationship, and the first few times it has happened in ours, it was for me too. I quickly leather thought that it was just how William handled being upset. We would usually have everything worked out and be in each others arms by the time I walked in the door. After three years of being in love, we have each other decently figured out.

Today was just like any other day.

•••

Today's work day was just like any other day. Had the appropriate amount of moans and groans when I announced there was going to be a test next class. Hushed the usual girls while they talked about their gossip in the middle of class. And listened to the same few rants about, "why do we have to learn this" from the usual students. One of my usual rambunctious class clowns did not grace us with his presence today. Therefore my day went slightly smoother than it started out.

I did not hear much from William today. Maybe a text back or two, but not the usual dozen from him that I have become use to. Again, this was not uncommon if he was upset with me.

On my way home I made sure take a detour at the store, getting a bouquet of red roses and ingredients for William's favorite dinner and dessert. Though I fully meant everything I said this morning and am now expecting a lot more to come from my boyfriend. I still hate making him anything but happy, and I feel like I have to do something special for him.

At least I thought I had to.

Upon entering my home, there was bags and boxes packed by the front door. Even though my heart knew right away what was going on, my mind was stunned. I stood there, frozen, my eyes unable to let go of the lock they had on what was in front of me.

"Fuck, it's that late already? I was hoping to be out of here before you got back."

I slowly looked up and saw William standing there. Coat and shoes on, backpack on his shoulders, holding, of what I assume, the last box of his stuff in his arms. It took everything within me to hold back the tears I begin to feel as my brain finally caught up with my heart.

"W-what are you doing?"

William let out a sigh as he set the box in his arms with the rest of them. "Isn't it obvious Edd, I'm leaving."

My breathing started to become shaky as it was getting harder to hold back the storm of emotions that was going on inside of me. "Where are you going?"

"Moving into a friend's place until I find somewhere of my own."

"Did you get the job?"

"I didn't go to the interview. I was kind of busy here."

"Then how do you expect to live on your own without work?"

I flinched when William hit the boxes that were in front of him. "God damnit Edd! This is why I'm leaving you! It's like I'm dating a parent now and not you!"

I stepped to the side as William grabbed the boxes and started putting them outside. He must have had a friend coming to help him, because it was too many boxes to fit in his car. I placed the bags of food and flowers on the cannot next to the door, now hating the sight of beautiful red that was before me.

"It is perfectly normal for a partner to love and want the best from their significant other. Would you not want the same for me if the tables were turned?"

William came back in, grabbing another two boxes and his blue eyes met with mine, two oceans crashing into each other. "I don't know, because I don't love you."

If all light, happiness, and color could fade out of your world, I felt like mine would have just now. "W-what?"

"There's a note on the bed for you, but I already told you everything. This is why I wanted to be gone before you came home... Where the fuck is Jacob?"

On cue, a beat up, old, black truck pulled into the driveway.

"Finally."

William picked up the last box and looked at me, a little shocked to see that even though I was standing as solid as rock. I was breaking and the tears were now running down my face. "I'm sorry Edd."

He left.

My heart broke as the door shut behind him. I closed my eyes as tears kept falling, listening to him pack the car and truck with all his belongings that became a part of our home these last few years. My body crumbled as I heard him speak to his friend.

"I can't wait to be the fuck away from here."

And he was gone.

In moments, I was completely alone and completely unloved after all these years. Or was I always alone and unloved, but failed to recognize it?

A shaky sigh escaped my lips. "I refuse to fall in love again."