"I'm Vienna, and this is Elliot," I said. "Um, well, we need your help, and we're kind of lost."

Sure, I was taking the more straightforward approach, but it was all I could do to save time. We were already down by one day, and as far as I could tell, Elliot wanted to get home as early as I did.

Jeff soon waved over to the chairs, and Elliot and I took the sofa, facing him.

"So, how'd you get down in these parts?" he asked with a heavy accent, his friendly glimmer in his eyes never fading away.

Before I could answer, Elliot had already begun the story, starting of how we stopped by to get gas at Elisa's station. He told him the tale of how I desperately needed to go pee, and in the hurry for beef jerky, Elliot had left the car keys in the car which was soon stolen by a drunken man. Eventually, he got to the part where Elisa sent us over here, to ask for a rental car and a chance to get back to California before Saturday. 

Meanwhile, during all of this, Jeff sat listening, unmoving and patient. I guess it ran through the siblings' genes to be so helpful, and for that, I instantly grew to like Jeff, despite how rundown his shop was. At least he was a kind person. 

"Well," Jeff exclaimed, leaning back in his chair after Elliot told the story. "Sounds like you two are in a bit of a pickle." 

Elliot and I both nodded, looking to each other. 

"I'm afriad that business has been going slow these days, though. In these parts, you're lucky to catch a broken down vehicle in them deserted cornfields, so I might not have a car to spare," Jeff frowned, gaining a similar look from Elliot and I. 

"But..." Jeff continued, thinking hard. 

"But..?" Elliot repeated hopefully. 

"Lucky for you, I have a lucky few that need some love, so I'd be happy to lend some to ya'll!" 

He stood up from his chair, dusted off his jeans and started gesturing us to the back door, where I'm assuming was the garage. Elliot beamed and the both of us followed him. I turned to Jeff's desk as we passed, and caught a glimpse of him in an old picture, standing next to a bright-eyed young girl in front of what appeared to be the shop, without all the old-ness and the rust. It was probably taken years ago. They were caught in an embrace. I smiled to myself. Maybe all Jeff wanted to do was help out some kids. Maybe we reminded him of his own. 

Suddenly, I felt a pang in my heart and the picture reminded me painfully of my own parents. Sure, we were only gone for a day, but we were thousands of miles from home. 

"Vienna?" Elliot called. 

"Huh?" 

"You coming?" 

"Oh, uh, yeah." I tore my gaze away from the picture and soon followed him through the door. 

*** 

Jeff clicked on a light switch and what used to be a dank, dark room was illuminated to show four rusty cars lined up in a row. Tarps had fallen to the floor and oil puddles were everywhere, specifically underneath the engines of the cars. Tools lay scattered and the cars were truly 'rustic.' Like, fifteen years old, probably. 

"Just have a look 'round and I'll be right back with the box o' keys," Jeff smiled at us, before turning around and leaving. 

My eyes scanned the row of cars. There wasn't much to choose from. But from the corner of my eye, I saw a fifth car that was hidden by a heavy tarp. I ran towards it and pushed the dust-covered cloth over the vehicle, letting it fall to the floor. What I saw made me grin so wide, that Elliot had to come over and see what was the deal.