Chapter 4*

Steve had been home for a few days, and I grew to hate having him around all the time. I thought it was bad when he came home from work, but when he was around all the time I lived in a place worse than Hell. I didn't even know that was even possible. Each day was worse than the last. Garrett hadn't been allowed downstairs in almost two weeks because Steve wanted us to be alone so I could be his distraction, but the whole time I was waiting for him to leave, just for a few minutes. I had a plan, and while it wasn't perfect, it was better than this. 

I had a lot of time to think about it, and I find the best solution. I couldn't wait for Garrett to be old enough to understand he had to run away from his mom. He was too young to even consider it. He wouldn't be able to handle racing through the woods and fighting for his life, so the best thing I could do for him was sacrifice myself and give him the chance to escape. I'd escape through the loose window in the basement, and slip out without being seen. Steve would look around for me, but hopefully by that time I would be long gone. He'd leave Garrett here and then maybe Garrett could escape and make it. I knew if I was found I'd be dragged right back here, dead or alive, but I needed Garrett to escape. I just needed time. Thankfully, one of Steve's friends had managed to get him an interview for a new job. So he left early that morning and I prayed I would never see him again. 

"Garrett, can you come downstairs?" I called up. I wasn't sure how to tell him what I was about to do. I had been thinking about it long and hard. I wanted to take him with me, but I couldn't. He wouldn't be able to outrun Steve if he caught us. I had a better chance of getting away without worrying about him, but that didn't make it any easier. It killed me on the inside to leave him here, but at the same time he'd have a better chance if he didn't come with me. Steve wouldn't catch him and kill him, maybe he could escape while Steve looked for me. I may never be able to see him again, but at least one of us would be out of this hell and live to tell the tale.

"Yes, Mommy?"

"We have to go, Garrett. We can't stay here anymore. I'm leaving and I need you to be a big boy." I knelled down, getting as close to his level as possible. We didn't have time to waste, and if I tried to ease him into this I would lose my nerve to tell him everything. 

"Where are we going?"

"Away from here. Hopefully far away where we will be safe, but you have to listen to me. We can't go together." His eyes grew wide in horror. I wanted to tell him the truth, the whole truth. I just knew he wouldn't understand. He was too young to understand, no six year old should have to go through any of this, but this was how it had to be. If I took him with me, we'd both be caught because he'd refuse to leave me. At least this way, I wouldn't be around to hold him back. He just had to be strong enough to leave and I'd sacrifice myself to let him live. I'd rather just me die than also kill him. "I'm going to leave and your father will follow after me, and then when he's gone. You run and find someone else. Tell them what happened and you'll be safe." Tears welled in my eyes. Could I do this? Did I have the strength to leave him behind? Sacrificing myself was for the best if it meant I could save him from a life with Steve.

"What about you?"

"I'm going to slip out and make a run for it. You'll have time to escape and make it somewhere safe."

"But why?"

"Garrett, you have to understand that this isn't your real life. You have to escape. You have to survive. In order to do that, we have to run. I'm going to save you one way or another. So please just listen to me and be ready to run far away from here."

"But why are we leaving?"

"We have to honey, I don't have time to explain everything to you. I have to go before Steve shows up and you have to be ready to run! Be brave and strong. You'll survive this. I love you." I gave him one last kiss on his cheek and a tight hug, letting a few tears slip over my eyelid before pulling away. "I have to go. I'm sorry I can't explain more."