3 - Sem'ya the Strong Man

The train finally screeched to a halt as everyone in the Promiscam Circus was preparing to depart, now in their base town, Kansas City, Kansas. The dusty air from the uprooted dirt hit Zach's nose with enough force to startle him awake. He had the dream again, the one that he couldn't ever escape without waking up screaming, wich he was doing now.

"OI! KID! WHATS THE MATTER WITH YOU?" Olly had to shout over the noise of the train, and trying to snap Zach out of his screaming. Zach stopped, looked at Olly with sweat rolling down his face and tears streaming out of his eyes. He curled up and turned away, embarrassed and afraid.

"Look bud, you gotta talk to me." Olly's voice was soft now, as the train had quieted down a bit. Shott was looking at them from the other corner, staring on wishing for words. 

"I- ill be fine," Zach managed to stutter out. His throat felt tight, as if there was a large stone stuck in it. This wasn't an unfamiliar feeling. While he hadn't known Olly for more than a day or so, he felt a sense of trust toward him, one that he hadn't quite felt before, even though he had gone through too many "families" to count. 

"Look kid. We all got problems. It'll be alright, okay?" with this Olly came over to Zach and wrapped him up in a hug. Zach stiffened, and made eye contact with Shott. Shott looked away imediately, and looked almost, sad? 

When Olly released Zach, he smiled his large, strange toothed smile, and got up. "WELP, its time for the day to BEGIN!" With that, Olly, Shott, and Zach were bustling about, and beginning to transfer the elephants from the train to the base. To do so, they had to use very large trucks with the Promiscam logo on the sides. Zach was able to smile softly every now and then from Olly's over-enthusiasm, but he was generally shaken up for most of the day. Throughout the day, Shott would send Zach strange glances, sometimes sympathetic, and sometimes angry. Now was one of those times.

"Oi, Zach, come help me load in Razzle over 'ere. He's being a bit of a rebellious'n." Zach looked around, and met eyes with Shott. Sweat was rolling down his face and his eyes bore holes in Zach's skull. It seemed as though every time Zach would be offered to help out, or get within feet of Olly in any way, Shott would be there, sending his crazed icy stare in Zach's direction. Of course, Zach understood this. He remembered many times at school when people would act similarly when someone new and foreign joined the friend group, especially if the jealous peers didn't expect them to stay long. Realizing this dynamic and the fact that Shott and Olly probably knew each other for a long time, Zach decided to stay clear of the fire.

"Sorry Olly, but I've got something to take care of with, uh, Ring." Zach knew that he faltered in his lie, and felt bad about lying to Olly, but the satisfaction on Shotts face made it worth it.

"I- Alright little dude. Just be careful o'er there. Ring can be a strict'un." Zach nodded, and began to make his way to where he believed to be Ring's office. He was absentmindedly walking through a large hallway when he ran into the strong man he had seen his first day.

"I- um, hello?" He spluttered. The man looked down at him, and then grinned from ear to ear.

"Why hello. I hear you are new boy, no?" His russian accent was so thick that Zach had to bite his tongue to keep from chuckling. "A bit scrawny for age, but will prove useful." He then nodded in approval, lightly patted Zach on the shoulder and sauntered down the hall. Before Zach knew what he was doing, he called out,

"Wait!" The man turned. "I have some questions."

"Don't we all." He laughed heartily. "No but, for real. What is this question of you? Hm?"

"I was wondering how to get to Ring's office." At this, the man got serious.

"Why must you know this." His question came out as a monotone statement and Zach nearly squeaked.

"I want to speak to him, about, yknow, being here and such."

"His office is right down main corridor. But you will not find him there without luck. He is most likely making rounds around circus."

"Thank you."

"Anytime. Do you want me to walk with you to find? It would be less intimidating then."

"Sure." With this, the man began leading Zach through the halls and out one of the side doors to the outdoor pens with the animals. It was nothing like you'd expect it to be, no nice vegetation or toys for the animals, just dust and fences and chains.

"Pretty sad, yes?"

"Yeah... I always expected the circus to be more, magical."

"Listen boy. Listen hard. Circus is magic, if magic is only each other. Okay?" They were now looking in each other's eyes.

"Okay."

"My name is Sem'ya, just so you know."

"I'm Zach."

"I know." Zach began to say something, then stopped. They walked in silence for a while, until a flash of black and white caught Zach's eye from around a corner.

"There he is. I stop here."

"Oh. Alright. Thanks, Semyah." At this, he smiled.

"You will learn." He turned and began to walk away, chuckling. "He will learn."