Chapter 39

Days seemed to fly by now that everything was right in the world. There was no conflict between any of the boys, school wasn't all that difficult, and Evanee was happy.

Dates with Evan happened at least three times a week. Their group spent most of their extra time together and they still attended a few Laser Tag tournaments.

But not all good things tend to last. The end of the school year was less than two weeks away and Evanee was itching to get her diploma. To get the one thing that would hopefully bring her one step closer to having that perfect apartment in the perfect city with the perfect guy. At least she had already had the latter.

"Evanee," Aunt Gemma called out from downstairs. "Breakfast is ready."

For this Saturday, Evanee would be spending it entirely with her aunt. Drew was at work and Evanee had already told her friends that she'd be busy today.

The two sat down at opposite end of the dining table. Gemma had already set everything up and happily served waffles, scrambled eggs, and bacon.

"Before we eat, there's a few letters for you," Gemma said, handing the green eyed girl three unopened envelopes.

The first envelope held the graduation tickets that Gemma and Drew would need if they wanted to see Evanee get her diploma, which they were both pretty excited for. The second one was an acceptance letter into a local community college, which was her current backup plan if she didn't get any other letters from the nearby universities.

Her eyes carefully read over the packet, which was bigger than the other two and had a stamp on the back.

Harvard University
Evangeline Pierce

She didn't remember applying for Harvard. In fact, Evanee didn't apply for any college outside of California so when she looked up at her smiling aunt, she knew that there was something behind this.

Gemma urged her to open it.

Inside was another letter, a brochure, and a packet. The first few sentences of the letter were formalities, thanking her for applying to Harvard. That was thanks to Gemma. Then her heart began to race as she read through the rest.

She had been accepted into one of the best colleges in the country with a full scholarship.

"Gemma! Thank you. Oh my god, thank you!" Evanee couldn't help but shout, getting up from her chair and hugging her aunt.

"You got in," Gemma beamed. "All I did was fill out some papers for you and I submitted the three page personal statement you wrote for your other applications. This was all you, Ducky, and I am so proud of you."

The a frown crossed her face as she continued reading. They wanted her to leave two days after graduation.

Gemma seemed to know, but she was as supportive as she always was. Even so, Evanee didn't let the fact get her down. Her aunt was proud of and she was proud of herself.

It was one of those moments where Evanee didn't care if she looked like a mess. She was sobbing into her aunt's shirt and the world had miraculously become even more perfect.

------------------

Before the seniors knew, graduation day was upon them. They had spent the last week tying up loose ends of their high school experience and practicing the graduation ceremony. Everyone was ready.

The five friends waited outside the auditorium. It would take another thirty minutes for the ceremony to commence, which left them thirty minutes as high school students. In less than an hour, they'd be high school graduates.