chapter viii.

Tony, what are you doing?" Loki asked, walking into the kitchen and seeing Tony standing over the cooker. Loki didn't know when the last time Tony actually had to cook for himself was, but he was guessing that Tony and cooking didn't mix. "Um, cooking pancakes." Tony said in an 'Isn't it obvious?' Sort of tone. "Right." Loki said nervously, walking over to him and sitting in Tony's favourite place, on top of the kitchen counter. "So, do you actually know how to make pancakes?" Loki asked cautiously. Tony scoffed, "Of course I do, it can't be that hard right? I mean, some flour eggs, a couple other boring stuff." Loki didn't reply; he had a feeling that this would end badly.

Ten minutes later, Loki was scraping the disgusting doughy substance that Tony had created into the bin. "Throw the bloody pan away." He grumbled from the other side of the room. Loki laughed at his expression and threw the pan into the trash. "I can make you some pancakes Tony." Loki said comfortingly, as he set some actual batter in the pan. Tony just pouted and slouched even further down in his chair. "I bet you can." He said before muttering, "Stupid superior God...with his stupid superior cooking...and superior face..." Loki laughed at him and crossed the room.
"Superior God?" He quoted with a smirk.
"Not my fault I'm mortal." Tony replied, crossing his arms and looking even more childish.
"Superior cooking?"
"Cooking is for losers."
"Superior face?"
"I didn't mean that one, we both know I'm the best looking here." Tony said, dropping his stroppy child act and smirking. "Shut up Stark."
"No."
"You better be quiet or I'll make you be quiet."
"And how are you planning to that?" Loki kissed him hard, pulling Tony to his feet.
Tony's pancake was very burnt.

"What are they doing?" Clint asked Bruce as they stood in the kitchen doorway.
"Kissing." Bruce replied simply.
"But...you only do that if you love someone!" Steve pointed out in a surprised tone.
"Exactly." Bruce said.
"I feel inexplicably protective." Thor stated from behind them.
When Tony and Loki broke away, the kids walked into the kitchen. None of them had said anything, but all of them pretended not to notice Loki's blush. They pretended not to notice them holding hands under the table. And they pretended not to notice that they were very obviously in love.

After a huge breakfast of pancakes, which in Steve's case were drowned in maple syrup, the kids had to get ready for school. Once everyone was ready, they got into the car and drove to the school. Tony tried very hard to keep his eyes on the road as he felt Loki staring at him.

In the back of the car, plans were being made to make sure that they didn't have another run in with Zack. Thor wanted to attack them, and scare them away from coming near them again, but he was overridden by everyone else who knew that they would end up losing that fight. They had been lucky to escape the first time. After a long discussion, they decided that their best shot was just to stick together and if it came to it - run.

Today, when Loki and Tony walked the kids to their classroom, Mrs Pensworth stopped them before they could leave. She smiled at Tony, acting as if Loki didn't exist, "Just to let you know, there's a parents evening in a week's time." Tony nodded and Loki scowled. Tony looked at him and the God didn't even bother to change his expression.
"We'll be there." Tony replied, wrapping an arm around Loki's waist. The teacher's eyes narrowed as she took this in before she gave Loki a dark look. "Good." She said at last, speaking again only to Tony. With that, she walked back to her desk.

The two men were silent as they walked back to the car park. Loki looked at Tony who smiled at his still annoyed expression. "You're right." Tony said, as he climbed into the car.
"As always. But about what?"
"She's very dislikable." Tony said with a nod.
Loki laughed.

***

"More colouring?" Bruce asked with distaste as he was given a colouring sheet and some chubby wax crayons instead of pencils. "Yes." Mrs Pensworth replied snootily. Clint scowled and said loudly, "You're just grumpy because Tony loves Loki!" The teacher looked horrified. "Clifford!" She exclaimed angrily.
"Clint!" Clint shouted back. Clint was made to stand outside, but on his way from the classroom he made sure that the whole class heard him say, "Better than colouring!"