chapter vii.

When Loki woke up the next morning, he immediately walked out into the hallway to see Tony. What he saw instead was a slouched blur walking quickly past him.

"Tony!" Loki tried to call after him. "Tony, come back. We need to talk!"

"Basement." Was the muttered response he got before he disappeared round the corner.

"Great." Muttered Loki to himself. He was all alone once again. Just when they were getting along, sorting out this problem, actually having fun, he had to ruin it. He just couldn't help himself! And now it'd never be the same again.

He suddenly grabbed an antique expensive vase and threw it at the wall, as hard as he could. With an explosive bang it shattered everywhere, splashing him with water, as a few old bits of rose flower scattered across the posh carpet. Loki slipped down among the shards of glass, slamming his hands down. "Why!?" He shouted to himself. "Why..." He repeated more quietly. A dribble of blood slipped out from a cut in his hands, were a bit of vase had damaged him. Staring down at his hands he asked quietly to himself, "Oh, brother, what would you do?"

As he sat amongst the shattered glass, he clung to one thought.

Tony kissed back.

***

Tony closed his eyes wearily as he drained the last drop of his bottle of liquor. His head was spinning, and he wanted nothing more than to go back to bed. He looked down at the pieces of flashy metal he was holding between his hands. He tried to turn his mind back to blueprints, and ideas, and suits, but no matter what it kept finding its way back to one thought.

Loki.

Just the thought makes him feel warm inside. Tony stops himself quickly. Look what happened with Pepper, he told himself. You gave her your heart, and she destroyed it. Tony Stark does not need love in his life. Only suits, sassy comments, expensive things, and SHIELD missions with his friends! He stared at the picture of Pepper that sat on his desk. She was laughing at the camera, looking very pretty. Tony took the picture, smashed it on the corner of the table, and threw it into the bin, with no emotion.

Quickly, he threw the bottle in too and shook his head, trying to clear it. Stumbling a little, he made his way to one of his tool tables and started to get to work. The new suit would be finished by tonight.

***

"Er... Jarvis?" Loki asked uncertainly staring at the mess on the floor.

"I believe Mr Stark is rather upset with you." The robotic voice replied.

"Yeah, but that doesn't mean you don't clean up my me-" The lights in the room shut off. "I hate computers." Loki muttered to himself as he bent down to start cleaning up the glass.

As Loki stood up again, the five children burst into the room looking happy, "No school!" Thor shouted. "You only went for a day." Loki pointed out, feeling irritated. The children ignored him completely and ran into the room. "Why are the lights off in here?" Bruce asked curiously. Upon hearing his voice, the lights flickered back on and Jarvis returned. "Hello Mr Banner." Jarvis greeted him politely, which made Loki scowl. It wasn't his fault that the stupid system was in love with Tony. Bruce smiled, "Hello Jarvis." Bruce said happily, "And you can call me Bruce y'know."

"Noted, Mr Banner." Bruce shook his head even though he was still smiling.

Loki, who was now even more irritated, stopped himself from asking Bruce what it was that made Jarvis like him. He was a god, he would not sink to that level. He looked down to see Steve tugging at his sleeve. "Will you take us to the park?" Steve asked hopefully. The others looked hopeful but Loki was still thinking of Tony and before he could stop himself he snapped, "Does it look like I'm going to take you to the park?" The children looked hurt at the cold tone and backed away from him. Loki was almost going to apologise but Clint had already grabbed Steve. "Come on, Loki's being a scary guy again." Steve looked sad.