Miren's eyes then fell on Headmaster Edsel. He sat proudly in a plushy antique chair. Next to him was Ms. Cowdry in a chair of equal plush-itude. Miren rolled her eyes. Who brought the bitch?

"Amuse us!" the headmaster demanded, banging a peridot-encrusted scepter against the black marble floor. "Amuse us you fools!" Ms. Cowdry giggled next to him. That's funny. Miren didn't know the woman was capable of laughter. 

"Alright then," Adam spoke into the microphone. He stretched a hand out to the nominees on stage. "One of these young men will be your king." His green eyes flickered over them briefly. "But as we all know, honor comes with a price. Thus their drag queens will be acknowledging their greatness for our sick amusement. Based on their performance, Headmaster Edsel and Ms. Cowdry will be administering awards." Miren rolled her eyes. But it was all in good fun, so that meant that she didn't have to worry about anything, right?

Wrong. There was that whole identity thing she had to keep under wraps. And now that she thought about it, she was completely exposed. She was a girl in front of everyone. How could they not tell?

"Finnegan, you can begin charming King Levi," Adam said, addressing the first group to the right. Miren tried to relax. They were a couple groups behind them. At least she didn't have to be humiliated first.

The smaller boy, who actually looked quite cute in his gown, went on to serenade Levi, strumming an invisible lute to accompany his off tune singing. The students were laughing, but Headmaster Edsel hit his scepter against the ground. Apparently he was not amused. "Fail! Take him to the dungeon!"

Miren let herself laugh as the night continued on. Three groups went up, including Parker, but the headmaster only offered modest praise to Soren's drag queen. Then they were up. Miren could feel her stomach drop and knot at the same time. She approached center stage with Jeno, a usual look of indifference casted over his face. She expected to see a slight level of amusement in his eyes maybe, but they were narrowed, as if to hide his irritation towards all of this.

"Oh, lighten up, Jeno!" Parker called out from the crowd, his green eyes as bright as his expression.

"This is foolish," was his only reply.

"Care to begin, Miles?" Adam asked. Miren nodded once, taking a deep breath. She didn't have stage fright; she was the debate captain at Rosemunde. But debating was simply stating facts with occasional critical thinking. But she had to be charming here. Princess Charming.

She gave a curtsey and forced a smiled at Jeno. "My dear King Jeno, I—"

"Use a girl voice!" The headmaster commanded, banging his scepter again. Ms. Cowdry laughed. Miren clenched her jaw. She thought of using her natural voice until she realized that it was practically the same as her guy voice. It wasn't shrill and girly. So she decided to use one. She cleared her throat.

"Dear, King Jeno. My days in the kingdom have been filled with immense joy and happiness. Everyday is like pixie sparkles and fairy dust!" The crowd was laughing. Miren turned to them, feeling her confidence rise. She flipped her wig hair over her shoulders, returning her gaze to Jeno, who couldn't hide the amusement in his eyes. She started twirling and prancing like an enchanted unicorn. "I was a damsel in distress and you rescued me. For that, I am eternally grateful. It will be an honor serving as your drag queen." She curtseyed again, listening to the laughing and clapping filling the air.

"Wonderful!" Ms. Cowdry said this time, rising to her feet. "Although I don't particularly care for your depiction of women as sharp-voiced airheads, it was certainly the most entertaining performance. Well done, Mr. Ellison."

Miren grinned, but she wanted to roll her eyes. It was nice to see that animosity the woman had for her had died down. Or maybe she was acting all calm and accepting because she was sitting with Headmaster Edsel. She had been making googly eyes at him all night...