Chapter Eight

"Oh my god," I gasp as we pull up outside the grand house that the event was taking place.

"This place smells like money," Charlie stared at the building as he stopped the car. "What even is this place?"

"It's the head of the alumni's house," I replied. "The head has changed since I last came to one of these things. I thought the last place was huge."

I jumped out of my skin as the passenger door opened. "Madam," The valet man offered me his hand to help me get out of the car. I grin at Charlie as he gets out of the car and hands over his keys to the valet man who immediately gets into the car and pulls away so they car behind can pull in.

Charlie puts an arm around my waist and we start t slowly walk up the front steps.

"By the way," I begin. "You cannot let go of me all evening. I seriously can't walk in these shoes."

He chuckled. "You think I can't tell?" I elbowed him gently.

"As long as they can't, I don't care."

"Good evening ma'am, may I take your coat?" A woman spoke to the left as soon as we were through the door.

"Oh, uh, sure." I slipped my coat off my shoulders and handed it to her.

"This is crazy posh," Charlie whispered. "You knew these people?"

"Unfortunately," I muttered.

"Danielle!" A voice called out. "You came!"

"Be afraid, be very afraid." I whispered to Charlie before turning to greet Kelly. "I did!"

"I must say, I did have my doubts, but I knew you'd come! I just knew you wouldn't be able to resist." She smiled at me before noticing Charlie. "So who is this Danielle?"

"Oh, Kelly this is Charlie, Charlie Kelly." I introduced them to one another.

"Nice to meet you," Charlie politely greets her.

"Hm, yes," Kelly looked at him for a moment before turning back to me. "Anyway, go mingle, I'm sure your sisters are just dying to hear all about the last few years!"

"I'm sure they are," I was trying not to let my smile become a grimace as she walked away.

"Are they all that rude?" He whispered to me.

I tried not to giggle as a group of girls I'd been friends with saw me and came over.

"Darling," One of them said as she kissed both my cheeks. "Is this that husband of yours? We've all wanted to meet him since you left!"

Charlie coughed loudly. I think he was choking on champagne. I butted in quickly. "No, I'm not married ... We're not married. No."

"Oh but we all thought-" She tried to continue.

"Well, you were wrong." I replied bluntly.

She smiled coldly. "Well, this is my husband." She said, taking a man by the arm who was walking past. "There you are darling! I was starting to think you had left." She laughed to herself.

He turned and caught my eye. It was my turn to choke on champagne. "George," I greeted him.

"Well, if it isn't Danielle Jordan!" He said, pulling me into a hug.

"Harper. Danielle Harper," I corrected.

There was a slight pause before he replied. "Oh, I'm sorry Dee."

"Oh, it's fine, you only mixed my name after all." I laughed awkwardly. I was the only one who did. Charlie simply looked puzzled.

"Oh right, yes, of course," George said softly.