Chapter Six

And that's how I ended up in bed with Charlie for the second time in one week.

Only this time. I wasn't desperate to leave.

For a long time I just lay there in his arms with my hand on his bare chest. I didn't say a word. I listened to our steady breathing. 

"So," I started.

"So?" He asked.

"I came here to ask a favour," I stated.

"You did?" 

"Yes."

"Did I make you forget all about it?" I couldn't see his face but I could just tell he had a grin on his face.

I smacked him lightly on the chest before speaking. "Shush you," I warned. "I came to ask if you'd be my date for this ball thing I have to go to."

There were a few seconds of silence before Charlie started laughing hysterically.

"What?" I blurted.

He was still laughing as he spoke again. "Sorry, Dani, but you just asked me if I wanted to go to a ball with you. You? You are the last person I'd expect to see at a ball. What is it for anyway?"

"It’s this sorority type thing..." I muttered.

This produced a fresh wave of laughter. "You're in a sorority?"

"I was." I sat up and crossed my arms as I turned to face him. "I bumped into one of them the other day and she's basically forcing me to go."

"Why were you in a sorority?" He grinned. I just glared at him. He had finally stopped laughing and was looking at me dead serious. "Okay Dani, I-"

"Danielle" I corrected for the millionth time.

"Danielle," He mimicked. "You really are full of secrets aren't you?"

I glared at him and flung the duvet off; getting out of the bed. He laughed and spun me round by the shoulder. "Of course I'll go," He said before kissing me lightly on the lips. "Now, the more important matter of breakfast."

I rolled my eyes. "Are your friends still in there?" I asked.

"Them? No. They'll be passed out for at least another couple of hours," He told me.

"Good," I replied. "But this time. I want a decent breakfast. None of that crap I had last time."

"Hey! I make the best bacon sandwiches in this house!" He insisted.

"I think you mean flat," I smirked. "And how bad are your little friends at cooking for you to be the best? You have not tasted good breakfast until you've eaten my pancakes."

"You think you can cook better than I can?" He challenged.

"Oh, it's on," I said, heading to the kitchen. He followed with a grin on his face. 

Ten minutes later, there was batter mix pretty much everywhere and I was making an attempt to flip a pancake.

"I never knew it was possible to make this much mess," Charlie said, staring around his kitchen in disbelief.

"Yeah, I don't make pancakes very often, my brother won't let me. He says I make to much mess. The only exception is pancake day."

"You live with your brother?" Charlie asked.

Instantly, I opened my mouth to deny it, before realising there was no point. "Yeah," I shrugged. "I lived with my Dad but I don't get along with my half-sister."