Chapter 6 - Now or Never

Samyaza stood close to Shebiaz and watched and watched her closely. She sat alone at the small wooden table in her small clay house. Samyaza drew closer and stared into her eyes. A new, uneasy feeling suddenly permeated his body. He had watched Shebiaz for years, but never had he experienced the emotions that he was now feeling. He wondered if it was right for him to feel this way. Perhaps this was God or his conscious telling him that what he wanted to do was wrong. He quickly put the thought out of his mind and resolved to move forward with his plan. Now that he had shared his plans with other angels, too much was at stake. If he was going to leave heaven, it was now or never.

What he and his comrades were about to was unprecedented. No angel had ever attempted to leave heaven and become human. He did not even know if it was even possible.  Many had been cast down in Lucifer's rebellion, but no angel had forsaken the gift of eternal life  to become mortal. How and when would the change take place he wondered. Would Shebiaz even accept him? It would all be for naught if she rejected him. Humans were typically fearful when angels revealed themselves, so appearing to her then trying to convince her to start a new life with him might not be as easy has he thought. It seemed a lot simpler when he first thought of this, but nervousness pervaded him as he stood before her.

Although Shebiaz had sad and sullen look on her face, she was still beautiful. She had long black hair down to her waist, a full figure and soft, red lips and deep green eyes.  Several weeks had passed since Nabal had last assaulted her and he resolved to intervene before he had the opportunity to do it again. She needed happiness and Samyaza needed her.

The evening had come and  Nabal was at the tavern again drinking heavily. Shebiaz likely faced another night of cruel abuse. For two years of their marriage, Nabal resented her for not giving him any children. She endured the insults of he and his family along with his drunken tirades and brutal beatings. At twenty years old, she was still young, so his mother and sisters came to the conclusion that the gods must have cursed her with bareness. Her mother and father had died and there were no other family members to live with. It was her beauty that first attracted Nabal to her, but he was growing to resent her more and more. She reached out to his mother in an effort to stop the abuse, but she offered no support, only more resentment. She encountered the same resentment and jealousy from his two sisters.

For some reason, Shebiaz began looking around the house. It was apparent to Samyaza that she felt someone else was in the room with her. After not seeing anyone, she looked back down at the table, hoping that someone would take pity on her.

“Shebiaz” Samyaza uttered in a deep monotone voice.

Startled, Shebiaz quickly looked up and saw Samyaza standing several away. She let out a loud scream before jumping to her feet.

Samyaza gazed at her calmly and smiled.

Shebiaz to several slow deliberate steps backwards with her eyes fixed on him until she reached the back wall. Trying to make sense of the situation, she stared intently into his eyes without saying a word. A soft white glow surrounded Samyaza's body and out-shined the one candle burning in the dimly lit room. Shebiaz noted that he looked like no one she had ever seen, rich or poor. He long white robe appeared expensive and finely made. He wore a golden sash around his waist along with well crafted golden sandals. He was handsome and his facial features were near perfect. He was clean shaven with  blue eyes, short black hair and  bronze skin. This somehow, put her a bit more at ease.  At seven feet, he was tall and  more muscular than anyone she had ever seen. She thought that it was strange that he did not have a beard or any facial hair. she wondered why he was in her home and how he had gotten inside.

Samyaza decided to try and put her at ease. “I know that you are afraid Shebiaz, but there is nothing to fear.”

Each word of his deep voice seemed to echo throughout her body. Still, she was still apprehensive and stared at him without saying a word.