Selling My Soul to His Royal Nerdiness. (19)

Anna Taylor

It was abnormally quiet at dinner.

Normally there’d be fights over the rolls, West smacking Kolbie’s hand when she reached for his chicken, things like that. But everyone seemed to have something on their mind. Even West looked glum, and he was the king of dark humor.

My mom stood up in the middle of eating and dashed to the bathroom.

Noah looked after her, confused. He looked at me. “Is your mother alright?”

“Morning sickness,” West informed him casually.

Kolbie’s fork fell to her plate with a loud clatter. We all stared at him as he speared a hunk of broccoli, considered it, then delicately put it in his mouth.

“What?” He asked after swallowing. “It was pretty obvious. You all are just dumb as hell.”

Kolbie looked like she was past words. Her mouth opened and closed. West gave her an once-over. “You might want to close your mouth. You look a lot like a flounder.” 

“WHAT!?” She finally screamed, shattering the silence.

“How’d you figure it out?” Chance asked.

“I notice a lot more than you think.” West gave him a cat-like smile.

A dark, foreboding chill ran down my spine. I saw Chance look at me out of the corner of my eye.

West caught my look. His grin became wider. He winked.

He couldn’t possibly know about Teagen…could he?

“Wow…” Noah’s voice brought me out of momentary state of panic. He was in between Kolbie and West, opposite me. “So…when did this happen?”

“Do you think we actually want to wonder about that?” I looked at him levelly.

He blushed. “Uh…no."

“Anna, stop giving Noah the evil eye.” Chance scolded.

“I’m going to have…a little sister or brother?” Kolbie was very still.

“Are you okay?” Chance asked.

“I think I’m in shock.”

“Daddy’s little princess isn’t going to be the favorite anymore, is she?” West teased.

“Shut up!”

“Did I do something wrong?” Noah asked out of the blue. 

“Nope,” West said cheerfully. “Anna’s just got a bad case of the little green monster—“

“Nobody asked you, Weston,” I bit out.

There was a very tense silence when my mom walked in, letting her hair down. It fell in bright red strands. When I was little, I’d always wanted to play with it.

“How can you be pregnant?!” Kolbie demanded. She looked furious.

My mother froze.

All eyes were on her now as she looked at us, eyes wide.

“Is it even dad’s?!” Kolbie had no mercy on her. The kid was vicious when she wanted to be.

My mom snapped out of it in one, swift motion. “Kolbie Lilith Taylor,” she said coldly. “Don’t you ever take that tone with me again.”

Kolbie looked as if she’d been slapped. She stared at my mom, wide eyed. Her cheeks began to tremble and her eyes watered up. It was the most heart-breaking thing I’d ever seen.