Selling My Soul to His Royal Nerdiness. (18)

Noah Richards

The illegible scrawl that was Macey's handwriting stared up at me. I squinted, trying to make out something.

She'd caught me on the way to going to the library. It was an unspoken rule that I didn't go out alone, but...

I just needed some space. To think. To wallow about the fact that the girl I had feelings for was blissfully happy with someone else. I tried to banish my feelings, I did, but the heart is not easy to order around.

People brushed past me, the mall busy even in the morning. Macey had blackmailed me into shopping for myself again.

I had never quite understood the smile that my grand-mère had gotten from shopping.d always come back home withher arms full of things from the Goodwill, beaming. And she'd drag me and my mom to her bedroom to watch her try everything on. 

Something small and fast bumped into my legs, forcing me to stumble backwards.

The adolescent girl looked up at me. Her expression became one of awe.She could not have been more than five.

"Wow," she breathed, chocolate-colored eyes wide with delight. "You're really, really, tall. Did it hurt to grow that tall, Mister?"

I was at a loss for words.

"Jayden!" A teenage girl shoved her way through the crowd. You could tell that they were sisters at a glance.The same dark, ebony hair frame their faces. They're eyes were slanted, as if they had Asian blood in them, but their skin color was light brown. They were possibly biracial, I mused.

Jayden, I presumed, looked he older girl. "Look, Kay! A giant!"

Compared to this tiny girl, I was, in fact, a giant. Her head was a few inches below my chest.

Kay looked up, her mouth open slightly as she stared at me.  "Oh my goodness, I am so sorry."

"It's fine," my mouth tilted up slightly. Her cheeks burned, but I couldn't tell whether it was because she was still embarrassed about the entire situation, or the fact that I had smiled at her. I wasn't being it was just honestly difficult to tell these days.

"We are going home, young lady, do you understand me!?" she scolded Jayden and took her by the hand.

"But Kay--" Jayden began to protest.

"No."

"It really is alright," I offered. Jayden's expression was heartbreaking.

"No," Kay shook her head. "She should have known better than to run off like that, especially in a crowd this large."

I nodded, glancing down at the list in my hand again. "Before you go," I said when she turned to leave, "do you think you could point me in the direction of..." I squinted at the list. "...Abercrombie and Fitch?" I furrowed my eyebrows. "I didn't know that shopping malls had banks inside of them."

Jayden and Kay exchanged a look that I didn't understand.

"What did you say your name was again?" Kay asked.

"Um. Noah."

"Come on, Mister," Jayden's small hand enveloped mine. She suddenly wore the expression of a man who's about to go into war. It looked out of place on her small face. "We'll help you to the light."

I had unwittingly found myself a minature Kolbie and Macey. They explained, in great detail, various stores, and helped me shop for clothes. 

We ate in the food court. Jayden licked a chocolate ice cream with great fervor while Kay drenched her fries with ketchup. I simply had a burger and a milkshake.