"Not right now, but I'm going over everything with a fine tooth comb so if anything turns up then you'll be the first to know." I assured him.

"I see." Captain Watts didn't sound surprised. "But you still have no suspects? No substantial evidence?"

I frowned. "Uh, no sir. But like I said, we're doing everything we can."

"Listen, Riley." Watts started, his voice softer and less Captain-like. "You shouldn't feel ashamed to admit it if you're out of your depth. If you can't handle this case then we can always hand it over to-"

"Out of my depth?" I scoffed. "I can guarantee you that no other person in this department would have been able to do anything any better. I have gone above and beyond for this case; there's not a single detail I've let slip through the cracks. I've got this, OK?"

The phone on my desk rang and Danny picked it up. "Detective Wolfe's glamorous assistant speaking, how can I help?"

The Captain lowered his voice."You're a hard worker, I know that Riley. And soon enough, you're going to be one of the best detectives this department has ever known, just like your father. But you spent a long time in narcotics, maybe it wasn't fair for me to hand you such a high profile case so soon after joining homicide."

"I'm ready for this, Captain. If I start to feel like it's getting bigger than me then I'll willingly admit that, but until then just trust me to do my job. Please." I pleaded, allowing a small hint of vulnerability to seep into my voice, since I knew very well that the Captain had a soft spot for me due to his closeness with my dad.

He sighed, defeated. "Fine, but I'm going to be keeping a close eye on you. We need to catch her."

"Yes sir."

Captain Watts nodded once, evidently satisfied with how his talk went, and then made his way back towards his office. I might have felt guilty about using his former relationship with my father to get my own way, if he hadn't brought him up to try and get his way.

Danny put the phone down with a sly grin on her face. "Guess who just killed Nicholas James?"

"You're kidding me."

She opened my drawer, took out my service weapon and handed it over to me.

"Merry Christmas, Wolfe."

///

Not twenty minutes later, the two of us pulled up outside James' house, which was already crawling with police officers and crime scene investigators, and if I wasn't mistaken, there was also a reporter at the bottom of the driveway. If that was true then there would be more to come.

"Shit." I cursed as I climbed out of the car. How they found out about this so soon was beyond me.

But then I got a better look at the reporter, who by now had also seen me, and as I took in her wavy black hair, dark skin and irritatingly confident posture, I realised with a not-so-internal groan that I knew her. Danny followed my gaze, and as she spotted who it was that I was looking at, she sucked in a breath of air between her teeth.

"Uh oh, ex alert." She ducked through the police tape. "I'll wait inside. Closer to the dead body and further away from your relationship drama."

"Traitor." I muttered, before I reluctantly approached my ex. "Jess. Little early for the vultures to be circling, isn't it?"

Jess cast a sarcastic smile my way. "Well, you know what they say about the early bird. Besides, the man's dead, nothing premature about it."

"You know what I mean. How'd you find out about this so soon?" There was a very obvious lack of warmth or affection in the way we spoke to one another, but that boat had sailed a long time ago, and I had no intention of swimming after it. After all, it wasn't so long ago that she'd almost ruined my career.