Chapter 8

(Riley's POV)

I arrived at the witness' house at almost exactly the same time as Danny pulled up.

This was the first time in a long time we'd had a proper lead or genuine witness in regards to the Pink Pistol case, and I didn't want to waste a single second of the opportunity I'd been granted to finally track her down. From what Danny had told me over the phone, it seemed this kid had witnessed the Pink Pistol abducting someone, and had actually interacted with her. If that was true then he'd be able to tell us all sorts, and we might actually stand a chance against the bitch. Why in god's name she'd let him walk free was beyond me; maybe she had a heart after all. Either way, I'd driven there as fast as I could without breaking any laws, and was practically half way out of my car before I'd even shut off the engine.

Danny met me on the sidewalk with a smirk and a soft shake of her head. "Relax, Wolfe." She teased, likely picking up on just how eager I was. "We don't even know if this lead is going to pan out yet. The witness is a twelve year old kid, for Christ's sake. For all we know he could be pulling a prank or telling tall tales."

"Well then, what are we waiting for?" I gestured towards the front door. "Let's find out."

I didn't want to believe that this was just another dead-end lead in what was turning out to be a dead-end case, because that might just have crushed me, so I did my best to maintain an optimistic outlook as Danny and I walked up the front steps and onto the porch. After I rapped my knuckles against the door, the two of us waited for an answer, at which point I took the time to study the house. It didn't seem to be very well looked after, between the rotting wood of the porch and the layers of grime caking the already cracked and cardboard covered windows, which led me to make a potentially snap judgement about whomever owned the property.

Seconds later, following the sound of a bolt sliding back, the door opened just a crack - with a chain preventing it from opening any further - and a man's face appeared. His groggy eyes scanned the two of us suspiciously, and I couldn't help but notice his misshapen nose, likely the result of one too many fights. There were bags under his eyes and, from what little I could see, his clothes appeared to have gone without a wash in far too long. The smell that soon wafted out of his home soon confirmed that assumption.

"What do you want?" He demanded gruffly.

Danny and I held our badges up to the door so that he could clearly see them. Just like that, his expression turned hostile, and I figured maybe my initial judgement of him wasn't so far off after all.

"My name's Detective Wolfe, and this is my partner, Detective Silver. We're with the homicide department." I introduced the two of us after lowering my badge. "We received a call from a child by the name of Joshua Alderson concerning something he may have witnessed a couple of days ago in regards to an ongoing investigation we're working. Are you Joshua's father?"

The man's face softened only partially after I explained the reason for our visit, likely because he was thankful we weren't there for him. It definitely made me wonder exactly what kind of person he was. Presently, however, I had to focus on the task at hand and remind myself that we there for his son.

"Yeah, and Josh didn't say nothin' about anythin' to me." Joshua's father said with narrow eyes. "I hadn't realised I'd raised a snitch, neither. Guess I don't know my son all that well."

Danny glanced at me briefly. "Mr. Alderson, can we come inside and speak to your son please? It shouldn't take long."

He paused for a moment, and I could virtually see his tired mind attempting to deliberate whether or not to let us in. A second later and he slammed the door in our faces. I blinked, but then we heard the chain sliding back and the door swung open once more, wider this time.