don't fall apart

Word Count: 808
pairing: luke hemmings x author
copyright © bestyrshemmo
trigger warning: death, suicide, cancer, author is main character

don't fall apart

Nervous, he walks up to one of the most popular girls in school during lunch. "Hey, um, Nicole," he says lightly tapping on her shoulder.

"Hey, Luke," she greets with a warm smile.

"Can I ask you something?"

"Anything."

"Want to go out some time?" He asks rubbing the back of his neck. Her friends laugh at the nervous boy in front of them.

"Are you stupid?" One laughs. "She'd never go out with you," she says it as if he's a germ.

"Guys, stop," Nicole says looking back at her so called 'friends'. "Of course I'll go out with you, Luke. Pick me up at seven?"

"Y-yeah. Sure," the blond stutters.

"Here's my number, text me when you're ready and need my address," she smiles and continues to eat her lunch.

Four years later: Sitting on the couch waiting for his girlfriend to come home, Luke scrolls through his Twitter feed. Not long later he hears the front door open and her purse clapping down on the counter. He locks his phone when he hears a small sob come from her. He gets up off the couch and walks over to his girl. "Hey, what's wrong?" He asks soothingly.

"Luke, I need to tell you something," she hiccups.

"Babe, you know you can tell me anything," he pushes a stray hair behind her ear.

"No, you need to sit down for this." He knits his eyebrows together in confusion, but obliges.

She takes his large hands in her tiny ones. "I haven't been completely honest with you these past four years," she confesses.

"What do you mean?" He questions.

"Luke," she sighs, "I have brain cancer."

His heart drops. His princess, his baby girl, his world, his everything, was dying. "What?" His voice cracks.

"When I was little, my parents found out that I had brain cancer. They immediately got me into surgery and chemotherapy. I healed. But five years ago, before you asked me out, I found out that the cancer had returned. I couldn't go through the treatment again, so my parents didn't make me." He nodded, telling her to go on. "When you asked me out, I realized that I needed to make the last years of my life worth while. I wanted to do that with you. I just found out, that, I only have nine months left," she lets a tear fall.

"No, this isn't going to happen. We're going to the hospital and you're going to get treatment," he points a finger at her.

"Luke, honey, I could barely afford to graduate, how am I supposed to afford surgery and chemo?"

"I have the money. I'll pay for it all. You'll heal, we can get married and have kids, watch our kids have kids, die together and be buried together."

"No, I won't let you do that."

"But I have the money! Five Seconds of Summer has been successful, I can pay!"

"No, I'm just gonna have this baby, but most likely die after birth."

"You're pregnant?" He asks surprised.

"I'm pregnant," she smiles at her red, puffy eyed boyfriend.

Nine months later: (July 7, 2016) "Luke, it's time," she says holding her stomach.

"Okay, come on," he grabs the bag that was prepared ahead of time and helps Nicole get into the car, before quickly driving to the hospital.

After an hour of screaming and pushing, a beautiful baby girl is born. "I wanna name her Andella. Andella Francine Hemmings," Luke smiles down at his new born daughter, happy that his girlfriend survived the birth.

A week later, on Luke's birthday, Andella is sleeping whilst Nicole and Luke make love.

Nicole lays in Luke's arms, her eyes growing heavy, and she starts to slip away. "Luke," she says softly, not really able to speak.

"Hmm," he hums.

"I love you, please don't forget that," she turns around so she's facing him.

"No, baby, please don't go. Not now," he caresses her cheek.

"Don't fall apart. I don't want you to fall apart on me, okay. Stay strong, and raise our little girl to be strong and beautiful. I love you," she then closes her eyes and let's out her last breath.

"I love you too, princess," he holds her limp body close and cries himself to sleep. He does the exact opposite of what she said, and falls apart. He falls apart again and again and again and again.

Years later: He never seemed to be happy, no matter how much Andella tried. She soon realized, there was no way to make her daddy happy. After years of being bullied in school, Andella soon decided she had enough, and later joined her mom.

Luke broke even more, realizing that he wasn't there for his daughter like he told Nicole he would be.

Later that same night, the family was one.

end story