Chapter One: The Fall

If it hadn't been for Rev, I'd be lying in a coffin right now. Then again, I'd be on my merry way to Heaven where I belonged, but thanks to Rev, I wouldn't be going to that place anytime soon. He broke the rules, and we both suffered for it. 

You see, Rev is my Guard, or more commonly known as a Guardian Angel. He'd been assigned since my birth to watch over me from Heaven, or so I've been told. When the Guard sees that their Gaurded is about to perish or die, it is too late for them to do anything about it. In other words, it's against the rules to save them. 

That's where my Guard, Rev, comes in. He saved me from near death and broke the only rule. His punishment? Eternal banishment. My punishment? Eternal banishment. The only difference is that Rev is still immortal. So, when I die, I go to the only place with vacancy: Hell. That leaves Rev to wander Earth for the rest of his Immortal life alone and without a Guarded one, his soul mate. 

Whoever said God wasn't cruel, is oddly mistaken. 

Flashback One: My Savior

The man infront of me looked oddly familiar. He blended in and out of the crowd like a shadow. Was I the only one who could see him? His appearance wasn't that of a modern day New Yorker. He wore a long, white coat that reached his knees, and nothing, not even his hair, was dark. When I compared him to a shadow, I realized he wasn't like a shadow at all. He was like the light that reached through the blinds. 

He must have noticed me. He turned his head ever-so-slightly to meet my awed gaze. A smile appeared on his face, and like the smile itself, he disappeared into the rushing crowd on the streets of New York City. People continued to walk around me as if I was the only one who could see the angelic looking man. As if time had stopped between us.

For a minute, I stood stunned. I felt the brush of people passing by, and decided I needed to move before someone got annoyed with me. I needed to get to work, too. I gave my head a good shake to snap out of it. I was obviously delusional. Maybe it's because I skipped breakfast. 

I approached the street I needed to cross. The man's image and beauty still in my head, I couldn't concentrate. Whether it was my lack of concentration or fatigue keeping me from looking both ways, I don't know. I stepped out into the middle of the busy street, somehow not hearing when people shouted and screamed. I finally, with much delay, looked to my left where a black sedan was heading right for me. It was too late for me to move. My feet, due to fear, were cemented to the ground. I had nowhere to run. 

Is this how I leave this world? I thought in my remaining seconds. My life had failed to flash before my eyes. I had no life, no past, and a boring future ahead. What was there to reminisce about? I had no happy memories, and so I think that's what prepared me to die. I had nothing to live for.

I would die, and I would be happy. 

Just as those thoughts entered my mind, something hit me from the side. My feet left the ground, and I thought for sure the car had successfully made contact, but the car was coming from the front, not the side. Plus, the thing that hit me was softer than metal, surely. 

My face and shoulder hit sidewalk. I could hear people running and shouting, all crowding around me as I looked up to the sky. My ears were ringing, and sure enough, the angel was lying over me. His eyes were more beautiful in near-death than before. So it hadn't been my imagination? This angel was here to take me away.

The angel was pushed off of me by two new strong arms. Another person invaded one-way vision. He was wearing civilian clothes, but he had the face of a caring person. His lips moved in something that I couldn't read. I couldn't hear anything but the buzzing of my own mind.