Chapter 5

Chapter 5

Sylvia was never able to get Andrew alone so that they could talk. Her father's employer had heard that Sylvia was a contender for the gold in the Nationals, so he gave him time off to watch her last performance. He stipulated that he had to be back in two days. So they left early the next morning, the only flight available.

The more Sylvia thought about it the angrier she became. She decided that she needed some time away to think. She spoke to her parents about it. Her father said; "After I finish this job, Mr. Hollywell has said that I can have a week off so we will go on a vacation then. The next question is: Where do you want to go?"

Sylvia and her parents decided to go to the mountains. They rented a cabin in an area where there were a lot of things to do. There were several hiking trails with spectacular views and water falls, riding stables to rent horses from, to ride on the many trails, if they wanted to, and lakes for fishing and swimming.

The drive up was about three hours long. When they got to the area the cabin was located in Sylvia got out the map they were provided with and navigated for her father. It didn't take them long to find it. It was just what they wanted, partially secluded being surrounded by trees but close enough to town if they needed something. When they pulled in they were pleased to see a herd of deer grazing in the under forest. That meant that there would be plenty of opportunities to get photos of wild life. That was one of Sylvia's present hobbies. They spent the rest of the day unpacking and settling in.

At breakfast the next morning her father asked them what they wanted to do that day. Her mother had suggested that they go horseback riding. Sylvia had always wanted to go horseback riding but was afraid to because she did not want to risk getting hurt, especially now that she was on her way to the Olympics. She had heard of horses getting spooked and running off with their riders, sometimes causing serious injuries. After telling her parents of her fears they decided that they would do that later in the week while she did something else. After much discussion they decided to go fishing in one of the many streams nearby. Hopefully they would have fresh trout for supper.

One the third day of their vacation they decided to go hiking. Sylvia took lots of pictures of the different kinds of birds, squirrels, and some white tail deer that crossed their path. After they got back from their hike they had a weenie roast and discussed what to do the next day. Her parents decided that they would like to go for their horseback ride. So they agreed amongst themselves that they would go riding and Sylvia would go into town to get a few groceries, because they were going to go fishing again and the spices they had brought from home had run out. They were concerned because they felt that she was being left out, but she told them not to worry because she had heard that there was an indoor heated swimming pool and she thought that she would go for a swim then she would do the shopping. That relieved them of their guilt and they looked forward to the next day.

The next morning, after breakfast, Sylvia drove her parents to the stables. They would be gone about six hours because the fee included a cook out at the top. It was about two and a half hours up and two and a half hours back. Sylvia told them that she would be waiting for them when they got back and left. She sought out the swimming pool and went to the changing rooms to get into her bathing suit. She had swum several laps when suddenly she felt someone holding on to her ankle preventing her from getting anywhere. She struggled, kicking to free herself but her assailant would not let go. She finally gave up and tried to stand up. When she did she felt her ankle released from its captor.

"What do you think you are doing?" She demanded.

The young man facing her grinned and said; "I've been trying to get your attention since you came in. Are you not Sylvia Sloan?"

"Yes I am, why do you ask?"

"I'm Eric VonSlogan; I also skate, not as well as you though. I am afraid that I am confined to entertaining on the rink. I am part of a group that performs ice shows at the local Ice Palace a few times a year. Otherwise I perform at the Ice Palace back home. I actually do not live very far from you. Maybe you would like to come and watch me while you are here?"

"I am only here until the end of the week."

"I have a performance tomorrow night if you want me to get you a ticket?"

"I do not know, I am here with my parents and will have to ask them."

"I will give you my number and you can let me know."

"That sounds good."

He seemed pleased at that and said; "How about some more laps?"

She said; "OK."

The two of them swam and cavorted around for a few hours then Sylvia told Eric that she needed to get out and change because she had to go pick up some groceries for her parents. He asked if he could go with her. She was a little nervous about being alone with him in the car and told him so. He said that he understood and that he would meet her at the store if that was OK. She decided that there would be little risk meeting in a public place like the local store. Maybe someone there would know him and put her mind at ease. She liked him but did not have any experience in that area of life and did not trust herself.

It turned out that they ran into several local people that knew Eric and vouched for him. This put her at her ease and she ended up inviting him to go with her to pick up her parents so that they could meet him.

Sylvia's parents liked Eric and agreed to go to see his show and to have supper somewhere in town afterward. Her father tried to give him money for the tickets but he refused it telling them that it would be on him. He pulled them out saying that he just happened to have some on him. Sylvia told him that he was sure of himself and he just laughed. They invited him to stay for supper and they spent a relaxing evening around the camp fire. He shook her hand when he left and said that he looked forward to seeing her and her parents the next evening after the show.
********************************
Author's Note : Well another chapter of the story is complete. Has Sylvia found a love interest?  Hope you all enjoy the chapter. Happy reading, Tigger

A picture of what her bathing suit looks like.