"Yes, my Lord?" He looked at me expectantly. "Did you want Galion?"

"No. Come with me."

We walked around towards the training arenas, out-of-sight of the stables

"I've had a letter from Coda." I handed him the parchment.

He gazed at it apprehensively for a moment.

"What's the matter?" I asked him.

"It's... your letter, my Lord." He said, pushing the parchment back at me. "It's yours."

I smiled.

"I don't mind you reading it. There's nothing in there that's... I don't mind."

He hesitated for a moment longer, before he opened the folded parchment and read the letter quickly.

He was smiling faintly by the end of the letter.

"I'm glad he's alright," he breathed. "I was worried about him."

"Me too." I rubbed my eyes wearily. "I feel much better, knowing he's safely in another kingdom, but I miss him. I really miss him."

"I miss him too." Cassius said sadly. "I'm friends with all of the grooms here, and we get on really well with each other, but Coda... I don't know what is was about him, but I just felt so comfortable around him. He was more like a brother to me than anyone else I've ever known."

I nodded.

"I'll write back to him when his next letter comes. If you want to write to him as well, I can send the letters together."

"Alright, my Lord. I'll give you my letter when I'm finished."

*

It was over a week before Coda's second letter arrived.

A messenger delivered the letter to me almost immediately after breakfast.

I retreated to my chambers to read the letter in privacy.

My dearest Lodareth,

I've just returned from speaking with Lord Marnes' advisor, and had to write to you immediately upon returning to Idaiz Pass.

I've purchased the house I told you about; Sunnia says the cottage was called Bluebell Cottage by the old physician who used to live here, so you can address all of your letters to me here in Idaiz Pass from now on.

Sunnia says there's a farmers' fair every three months at the next village, which is about three hours ride away, and the next one is in three weeks' time. I plan to go and look around, and perhaps buy a horse or two, if I can find any for a fair price.

Sunnia's father owns the tavern, and he says there might be some work for me in his small stables – he mostly looks after traveller's horses if they're staying at the tavern - until I am able to start selling horses.

I'm looking forward to working for myself. I think it will be interesting. I've always loved going to farmers fairs, and being able to buy and sell my own horses there is something I have dreamt of doing since I was small.

Sunnia has promised to introduce me to other people in the village tomorrow, and I hope to be able to buy some furniture for the cottage. I know there's a carpenter in the village, and a blacksmith, and Sunnia mentioned there was a small trader behind the tavern. And some of the farmers grow straw and hay, so I'm hoping to buy supplies for the horses from them.

I have to thank you again for your generosity; without you, I know I would never be able to afford more horses of my own, or a home. I wish you could see my new home. I know you'd love it here. Everything is peaceful, and the people are so friendly.