Born Sinner

Its Friday and coming home from school to this stressful town is nerve racking. Its been almost a week since Jermaine and I last talked. He hasn't been at school so its been kind of easy avoiding him. He steering to the left and I'm staying in my lane. So if he want to smoke and get high all day let him its not my problem. I'm just not about to chase him.

"Ma I'm home" I yelled as I threw my book bag on the ground and took my shoes off. I walked into the kitchen and found her reading a letter.

She folded up the letter and wiped her eyes when she saw me "Oh hey I didn't hear you come in how was your day at school" She tried to smile but I knew it was fake.

I shrugged "Good I guess what's that letter say"

"Nothing that you have to worry about. What you wanting to eat today" 

"I don't know what do we have in here to make" I looked through the cabinets and knew I was about to get sent to the store

My mom stood up "Nothing I'll make a list so that you can go to the corner store and pick up some things for dinner and breakfast for in the morning" She walked out the room and I picked the letter up

Dear Miss.Reed  

Were sorry to say that your insurance has ran out and does no longer cover the payments for your treatment. We have no other choice but to stop all treatment after the third of the month. Again were sorry and hope you understand. 

Glenwood Hospital.

"What the hell can they do that" I said to myself as I got to the end of the short as sorry letter.

"Okay here's the list all I have is fifty dollars so get only the things on the list and bring me the change"

I nodded "Alright. You alright"

"Yeah why you ask me that"

I shrugged my shoulders "I don't know just asking"

I left out the kitchen and went upstairs to change into something more comfortable and that won't get me beat up. I wore me a plain white tee half shirt and some high waisted stone washed pants and with some cute white sandals.

I stepped outside and looked around. I seen the same scene everyday 24/7. Old men playing dominos, old women gossiping, teens either on the corner or being fast, and kids being bad. Nothing new in the hood. I looked ahead and noticed that I had to pass Jermaine's building and he was sitting in the stoop.

"Zoee aye lemme holla at you for a minute or two" He shouted as I walked past him. "Zoee why you being like that"

"I ain't being like nothing" I said because deep inside I wanted to talk to him.

He grabbed ahold of my arm "Yeah you are you being fake as hell"

"So"

He let my arm go and watched me cross em "So you know you miss me in your life" He smiled but I didn't.

"No I don't"

"Yeah you do and I know you do so you don't have to admit it"

I rolled my eyes "Right. I gotta go so if you don't mind"

"My bad I was just trying to get my girl back"

I uncrossed my arms "I was never your girl Jermaine"

"Right. I gotta go so if you don't mind" He said mocking my words.

I smiled "Alright bye Jermaine"

"Bye Zoee" We walked and went back to sitting on the stoop.

I turned back around "Why ain't you been at school"

"Uh I don't know I ain't been feeling it I'm focusing on these raps and beats right now. Why you miss me eating lunch and riding the bus with you" He smiled and laughed a little.

"Yeah" I turned around and started back on walking to the corner store.

As I walked onto the corner store I started to pick up the iteams on the list. When I was done I got in line And waited for the clerk to ring my things up.

"That'll be thirty-five sixty" She said with a smile.

I dug into my pockets but I didn't feel the money "Uh hold on" I turned them inside out and still no cash. "Shit"

"Mam please hurry up there are people behind you"

I turned around "Yeah I can see that"

"How much is it" A voice behind me asked

The women rolled her eyes "Thirty-five sixty"

"Alright I got it" A six foot three tall dark skinned man with neatly done dreads said.

I blushed a little "Thanks"

"No problem cutie" He grabbed my bags and began to walk towards the door. "What's your name"

"Zoee and yours"

He handed me my bags "King"

"Nice name never seen you before you live around here" I looked down at my feet as we walked.

"Naw my grandma lives here and I just came to visit"

I nodded "Oh" We got closer and closer to Jermaine stoop. He must have been waiting on me cause he stood up as I walked towards him.

"You dropped this I guess" He handed me the fifty dollars

"Thanks Jermaine this is King and King this is Jermaine"

They called up "Where you meet him at"

"The store he paid for my things"

He nodded "Alright I'll see you around then"

"It was nice to meet you man" King smiled and continued to walk with me. He is just so handsome. White straight teeth tats and I'm sure he has abs. "Who was that an ex"

"No he's an old friend"

"If you don't mind me asking what happened"

I shrugged "All I'll say is that people change"

"Oh I see"

I stopped at my house "This is me. Thanks for paying for my things and walking me home"

"No problem Zoee. Let me see your hand"

I handed him my hand with hesitation "555-2891" I read the number as he wrote it. "Ha when would be a good time to call"

"Whenever my time is always free for cuties like you"

I smiled "Bye King"

"Bye Zoee" He waved and walked off.

I walked into the house and went into the kitchen. I put the food up and went straight to my room to call Tanijah. Yeah me and Jermaine talked but that doesn't mean that were cool and it sure in the hell doesn't mean that were friends.