Chapter Three: Viridity

Start from the beginning

_____________________________

"Legolas, sidh. Calm yourself."

I rounded on my adar, struggling to keep a snarl from my lips. "I will not. We cannot simply wait for death to come upon us. By the time we act it will be too late."

"You do not know that. We have and have always had precautions in place against this. Do not let a childish message rile you; that is its only purpose. You're allowing your emotion to control you." My adar's voice was devoid of feeling—the voice of a King. It might convince those who hadn't known him for centuries. I recognized it immediately and all too well. Fortunately for me—and my temper—I did not have to continue pleading my case on my own.

Cirfan had come to the throne room at my urgent request. When Oropher had ruled, he had been my own father's lieutenant. Upon my adar's ascension to the throne, Cirfan had become his seneschal

to any other rebel attempt. They are making themselves known to us as if it is a game."

"And if it is a game they want, it is a game we shall play." My adar's eyes flashed. "We will not be cornered into sending the kingdom into a panic. There is enough shadow as is, we need not diminish the beacon of safety that our people still believe we hold. I will play the game and I will win."

"Adar—" My protest was joined with Cirfan's.

"No argument. That is my final word on the matter. We will not cower from phantoms."

I sighed, shoulder's straightening. "The I will conduct an investigation. Only so that we can be sure. If there is a threat to the crown, I cannot leave it unchallenged."

Forven had been lingering by the doors, a sentinel lying in wait for whatever tendrils of darkness might creep forward, but now he stepped forward. "I agree with Legolas, my king." I did not voice my worry for the head that crown sits upon.

My adar did not groan—never would he allow such a display in his throne room. But even he might be hard pressed to deny a sigh having passed by his lips. "Of course. I should have expected as much."

Ignoring the comment, Forven continued to pace around us. "I do not, however, believe that Legolas should conduct the intricacies of such a search." Both my adar and I opened our mouths, mine in objection and I assumed his in agreement, but Forven's voice rose to quiet us. "Not for lack of need of it, but because he would be putting himself at unnecessary risk. To do so he would be drawing himself closer to the danger that is so obviously at hand. If there is a threat to the crown, it is to his own neck as well."

A silence followed his  words. I wanted to object, but could not find it in myself to do so. My adar was more likely to agree to any search of the kingdom if my involvement was absent... Perhaps it would be best to leave Forven to his ruse.

Cirfan cleared his throat, cutting into the icy air. "Are you in agreement, then, Thranduil?"

My adar's guard of control wavered. "Do I have a choice?"

"Not quite," I answered, crossing my arms. "You cannot disregard your own safety this way. It is careless."

"I have four guards that follow me near everywhere but my private chambers, and even then they simply stand outside. I have plenty of regard." A mirthless smile came upon my adar's features. "Notwithstanding, you could do with more of an entourage."

"Let this be done then." Forven interjected before the matter escalated, gripping my forearm. "In any case, the prince and captain of the guard has other matters to see to and must be on his way to them." I attempted to argue, but it appeared no one would allow me to plead my opinion on anything this hour. Forven bowed briefly and pushed open the large doors to exit the throne room. I called to the guards that they may enter the throne room again, Forven refusing to let me stop until we were a fair distance down the hall.