Chapter 1: Small Bandit

Jonathan's POV
I run, or scurry as fast as my four legs can take. Even with my heightened raccoon vision, I hiss out puffs of air in frustration, infuriated by my situation. I am currently escaping from the Researchers, scientists that are supposed to "better" the world. Instead, they grab innocent people and alter them to the point where they don't even know themselves or their bodies anymore. I was once human. Now, a creature of the night that can't change back into his human form, or even half animal form.

Some more fortunate people have managed to escape before getting a complete makeover, and they are lucky. If I waited even one more day to leave, I would find myself unable to even think individually; just a mindless super weapon for the government to use freely. I shudder at the thought.

I don't know how long I will be stuck in my animal form, but it will make things extremely difficult in the long run, especially when the Researchers happen to be looking for a certain raccoon.

As I continue sprinting aimlessly, fatigue creeps in. I know that my body is already run down from the experimentation, and pushing it to the limit is complicating things. I need to get away though, far away if I still want to hold on to the memories I once had that weren't filled with needles, painful screams, and excruciating pain. Back to when I was an innocent teen age 16, not a run-down hybrid at my current age of 28.

A lot of the people couldn't handle such torturing lifestyles, and I saw many die or go completely insane in front of my eyes. Because I could tolerate it, I purposefully volunteered for the strongest experiments, hoping to save the few teens I met before become inhuman. Nobody at the lab knew my actual name, in fact, everybody like me gave out code names to not give the scientists satisfaction.

I met Cartoonz, Lui, and Basically before becoming a hybrid. They were all around my age, and equally terrified of what we would become. In the one week that I knew them, I never felt more at home with anybody else in my whole life, not even my family. That was 8 years ago.
_________________
The strain on my body is too much, and my panting is becoming choking gasps for air. Street lights illuminate the night in colourful blurs as I sprint past dark alleyways, gutters and trash cans. The people I encounter either back away from me or screech because nobody wants to play with a disgusting raccoon. I couldn't care less.

Blacks spots spread across my vision, and I feel like I'm suffocating, lungs on fire and muscles burning from exertion. Almost there, I can do this. Just need to get as far away as possible. Wind ruffles my fur but I don't notice the cold when my body is rising in temperature. Things go in and out of focus, and I barely register that I stopped because of a heavy object. I see a pair of shoes, and my vision travels up jeans, and bulging muscles under a red and white jacket. I feel myself slipping, and only have a chance to wonder. Why won't this person run away from me? I black out.
_______________
Evan's POV
I look out the mansion window to see the evening sunset. I feel compelled to walk outside in the cool night air, and decide to head out.

Laughter fills the room as I walk downstairs and I see a giggly Nogla with a light-brown monkey on his back.
"What are you 2 idiots doing!" I chuckle as the monkey moves off of Nogla's shoulders, and turns into a short, tan man with brown eyes.
"Nothing..." Lui squeaks in his childish voice.
"You were tickling me ye fock," Nogla retorts, catching his breath. I just stare at the two in amusement.
"Well I'm heading out so I'll be back later." I state while putting on my signature red jacket with white stripes.
"Be careful Vanoss." Lui looks at me with a deeper meaning in his eyes.
"I will." I say softly in return.
_____________
The brisk, evening air and quiet sounds of engines passing by leave me to think.

4 years ago, when I was 19, I escaped from a lab with the friends I live with today. At least all of us have some sort of super human abilities, and we are also all hybrids due to the sick experiments we were placed through.