1# memory lane

hunting down the precious gems,
down the memory lane,
i wonder how far have i come,
and lived it all in vain?

***
Chapter 1- Memory Lane

"Learning... is any permanent change in behaviour or behavioural potential produced from experience."

Professor Brown continued, "For example, as children, everyone of us has burnt our fingers, but after that, we've always restricted ourselves from doing any activity that could cause such pain." He concluded, "We learnt something from experience."

One of the students, Ron, I think, raised his hand in a question, "So, what we study, for exams and stuff is not essentially 'learnt' because it doesn't result in a change in behavior?"

I agreed with his point and added to his question, "And what about those things which we don't 'experience' as such, but have significant knowledge about? Aren't they learnt?"

Professor Brown broke out into an all knowing smile. "I know I can count on the both of you to be actually listening to me when the THE REST OF THE CLASS IS SLEEPING."

He made sure that all my Sunday night hungover classmates heard the last half of his little comment. I could swear that I saw two guys trying desperately to wake up from the corner of my eye.

"As for your questions, they've quite explanatory answers and since it's almost time, I think I'll cover it in the next class. Do you mind?"

Me and Ron were not the only ones who nodded our heads frantically.

Aftermath of an 8 a.m. lecture is usually the blinding need for caffeine or nicotine. Caffeine stations or coffee counters were too busy, so I stuck with a large cup of milk tea.

Just as I was rushing out to grab a seat in the library to knock out a few free hours with books and notes, I heard a voice calling out for me. "Norah!! Wait up!"

That high pitched voice could only belong to Danielle, the head of basically everything.

"Yeah?" I answered. She asked,"Are you interested in the debate competition this year? I mean, since you won last time, I thought you'd like to...."

"Yeah, sure. Email me the details.", I continued, "And Danielle, make sure that I've a partner who does not sleep his ass off while the debate is going on."

She looked flushed. "I....um..yeah. Sure." I felt bad. Maybe it came out a little harsh. I smiled. "Not that I mind your boyfriend. He's pretty nice. But, maybe you should not keep him awake the night before the debate." I winked.

She smiled right back, her composure returning. "Trust me, it was all worth it." I laughed and went on my way. Personally, I don't think anything would be worth the embarrassment you would have to face if your debate partner is soundly snoring when you are making a strong point.

"But, I won it anyway." I told myself. One of the worst things about studying in an Ivy league university is that you think everyone is better than you. I still remember my levels of self doubt during the first semester. I think I soared above the Eiffel tower. But, in the end, it was worth it. I stood at the top. High above everyone else. I smiled at the memory as I settled in a corner of the library.

"Here we go." I said to myself as I opened "Detailed Functioning of the Hypothalamus."

***

It must've been a two good hours before my attention went to the empty tea cup on the desk.