Chapter Twenty Three

Start from the beginning

"I see you need some time alone." Dad grinned proudly. He reached over to hug me but stopped short, deciding against it.

I think I surprised both of us when I made the move. Without thinking I wrapped my arms around him and squeezed him tightly.

I didn't forgive him, but I was ready to. And that counted for something.

"Thank you...dad." I mumbled into his shoulder.

***

I searched for Sawyer high and low after I burned myself out on work. My dad was right-which is as rare as Halley's Comet. What I needed right now was a family and for me, Sawyer was it.

I blamed him for putting me in a position that made me uncomfortable. But I have to put on my big girl pants and sniff the febreeze because I had the right to say no. I was wrong to solely blame Sawyer.

"Hey, do you know where Sawyer is?" I asked my mom who was getting an early start on the thanksgiving turkey.

"Didn't he say anything to you? He's picking up Nicky right now. Apparently she wanted to spend thanksgiving with your brother." Mom explained. I scrunched my face in disgust.

"Gross!" I cried out dramatically. "Did her family finally try to roast her for thanksgiving? Is that why she's seeking refuge in our home. If so, I suggest we deport her back to California."

"Vivian, I don't like her either but she is your brothers gremlin- I mean girlfriend. Plus it's the holidays so please be kind." Mom stressed-though she looked like she wanted to laugh. I read her loud and clear though.

She wanted me to be completely snarky and sarcastic when Nicky came. I dig it though....

"You have my word Madre." I winked skipping out of the kitchen.

"Why did you wink? I don't like the wink Vivian!" she cried out but I completely ignored her.

Without thinking I immediately grabbed my running shoes and headed out. I hadn't had a good run in ages. It usually helped clear my mind and right now I had a lot on my mind.

With my winter final coming up, I needed to come up with a stellar winter look. Lately I've been struck by the creative block. Everything I made just didn't satisfy me. It would either be too much or not enough. I couldn't find the inbetween.

Then there was my talk with Sawyer. I didn't quite know what to say to him. But I knew it was time to forgive and forget. However, I was still nervous he wouldn't want to talk to me. I had been cruel to him, so cruel-even I wouldn't forgive my actions.

My legs pounded against the private road leading away from the house. With no destination in mind I just ran.

I ran past my driveway. Down the hill my house rested on. Into the small town that Sawyer called home. Past skyward park where Blake and I talked about everything and anything.

"Hey! Hey wait up!" I heard a faint call. I abruptly stopped as I recognized her call off the bat.

Sophia ran up to me clad in running clothes. But even at her worst, she still looked beautiful. Her blonde hair was tied back in a messy ponytail and her skin was glistening from the workout but she still looked stunning. There was no question why Blake and my brother fell for her.

"Oh hello." I greeted her with a welcoming smile. In the back of my mind I reminded myself that as far as she knew, I was a stranger to her. She had no idea that the Sawyer she met in the beginning of the school year was actually me.

"Your Vivian, Sawyer's twin." she smiled putting her hand out, "We haven't actually been properly introduced. I'm his friend Sophia Pierce."

I shook her hand and smirked at her knowingly. "Friend is a little too causal, don't you think? I thought you and my brother had a flirtation-ship." I raised my eyebrow. Sophia blushed but quickly smirked at me as something she thought of clicked.