Muir Glacier

John's kayak glided silently through the water. He looked over his shoulder one last time to watch the small fishing boat disappear around the small inlet. His last lifeline to the world, gone.

A smiled as he looked back at his quarry. The massive Muir glacier stood like a sentinel of ice. The face of the wall loomed overhead. Threatening to drop building sized slabs of ice down on the small man and his miniscule vessel.

He dipped his oar into the rolling waves, propelling himself along the wall. Looking up he could see the pillars of death above him. His smile grew even more. Being this close to the wall gave him a thrill like he had never felt before. That feeling. The feeling of looking death in the eye and coming out the other side was why he was here. It was what he was seeking for.

He pushed along the wall towards a roaring river that cascaded from the top of the glacier. A waterfall that fell a hundred feet into the iceberg filled waters below. As he got closer to the fall, a large sedan sized lump of ice calved off and plunged into the water behind him. He looked over to see a wave rush along the wall towards him.

He dug his oar into the water propelling himself faster, Trying to get up enough speed to surf the wave. With a yell of triumph he caught the crest surfed along.

The thrill of the waves passed quickly and he took in the grandeur that was all about him. The inlet that the fishing boat had dropped him off in, was surrounded by large canyon walls. Grey stone that had stood through the tests of time. All ending at the Muir glacier. A wall of ice flowing into the ocean. He was here to conquer it, his fears and overcome his loss.

John pushed his way to a small outcropping of rock. It looked like he could get up out of the rolling surf and up to the top of the massive stone walls from there.

His kayaks nose easily up onto the rocks at the edge of the glacier. The scraping sound of his boat on stone, was the first man made sound he had heard in hours. He smiled as he got out and pulled the small boat above the tide line.

He took a deep breath and looked around. A small trail in the rock, looked like it would lead him from the water to the top of the small rock cliff. He grabbed his pack from the kayak, gave his small boat one last look and shouldered the heavy load. Ready for his time on the ice,

A sound broke the silence of the inlet. He looked around trying to find it. It came again. A soft static. He rushed over to the small crack. He found a yellow device crammed between two rocks.

He turned the device over in his hands. A crackling coming from the speaker on the front. John pressed a button on the side. "Hello? Anyone there?"

He let go and waited for a second, he repeated his words, "Hello?"

"Hello," came a soft voice over the radio speaker.

John laughed to himself as he looked around again. Maybe he had missed something. Another group.

"Who is this?" asked the voice.

John played with a few of the nobs on the radio. The static cleared.

"Hello. I'm John," he said as he pressed the button.

"Hey John."

"Who is this?" John asked back.

The woman's voice was clearer and louder now. She let out a very loud sigh, "I can't tell you how happy I am to hear a new voice. I thought I might kill all of these men."

John pressed the button, "Umm. What are you talking about."

The women came over the speaker again, "Oh. I'm sorry. I'm Zoe."

"Nice to meet you Zoe."

"You too John. Where is your group?" She asked.

"My group?"

"Yeah, your expedition group?"

John hesitated for a moment, "I'm not with a group."

Zoe laughed into the radio, "Not with a group? Thats a good one, how could you get this mountain without a team?"

John clipped the radio to one of his shoulder straps and started to make his way up the small trail..

"Where is your team?" John asked.

"We are at base camp two. Stuck in the whiteout." She paused for a little bit, "I have been cooped up in this tent for three days. I'm going crazy."

John emerged atop the wall. He looked out over the inlet. Watching the icebergs starting their endless journey out to sea and beyond. He sat down to watch more bergs calve off the face of the glacier.

"Funny thing Zoe. I'm not climbing any mountain," He said, waited for her to reply.

"Then where are you?"

"I'm at the base of the Muir glacier."

He watched as a large chunk of ice cascaded into the sea. He was content with where he was and decided that this spot would make a safe and secure camp site. So he set about setting up camp.

Zoe was quiet for a while. John passing the time unpacking and setting out his gear. Pausing when the crashing sound of the glacier pulled him from his tasks.

After what seemed like hours Zoe broke her silence, "What are you doing out at that glacier. You're miles from Denali. I'm surprised that we can even talk."

John tossed a log onto the small fire he had started. He watched the flame thinking how to answer this random women. He sat the radio on a rock next to the fire so he could cook his dinner with his hands free.

"I would rather not talk about it." He said to the radio.

"I'm sorry. Say something wrong?" Zoe asked.

"I don't even know who you are or where you are?"

"Well I'm Zoe. Stuck on Denali with about ten steroid pumped millionaires, trying to recapture their youth by hiring me and my men to haul their lazy backsides up a mountain."

John pulled a can of sardines from the fire. Taking a small bite he watched as the sun set. The oranges and yellows catching the ice and lighting the sky fire.

He picked up the radio and pressed the button. He started with a sigh, "A little while ago, my wife and I were coming home from a movie." he paused to relive that night.

A tear came to his eye as he went on, "On our way home a drunk driver crossed the centerline and hit us head on. We were both hurt badly. My wife was in a coma for a months, before losing her battle with life."

"John, I'm so sorry."

"No, it's okay."

The two sat in silence for a while. Zoe in her tent as a storm raged around her and John on the edge of a glacier.

"I came here to try and put it all behind me. To get out in nature by myself."

"I'm sorry John. I shouldn't have pressed you."

"No really. Like I said, it's okay. I came here to face my demons."

John laid his sleeping bag out, under the stars. The warmth of the fire was all he needed. He watched the sky as it darkened and the jewels of the night light the sky appear.

He reached out and pressed the radio, "Goodnight Zoe."

"Goodnight John."

"Maybe we can talk again tomorrow." he said.

"I would like that." Zoe answered.