Chapter 34

Amelia sat with her head in her hands for several minutes as she contemplated her next move. I was waiting for her to snap at any moment as yet another of her meticulous plans was foiled. But Amelia just sat there silently as Jake lay unconscious and unmoving on the floor. My initial thought was that she had killed him, her own son, but I'd calmed a little once I'd seen his rising chest. He was thankfully still breathing.

After several minutes of nerve wracking silence Amelia had taken a deep breath and projected her regained composure, though I suspected she was rattling beneath the exterior. Amelia Lane was nothing if not a chameleon and she had yet again devised a new plan and adjusted her circumstances accordingly. This included the decision to restrain her unconscious son with handcuffs, which she did to another chair in the study. I couldn't quite believe what I was seeing and questioned if Jake too had unwillingly volunteered himself to become a part of Amelia's plan for damage limitation? Another innocent victim to add to her growing list. She was truly ruthless, willing to do whatever it took so long as she got what she wanted.

I couldn't help but still feel that it was an unexpected move, going against everything Amelia had previously insisted. Back when she had justified what she had done as a need to protect her family. Of course there was no real justification for murder. And Amelia was far from predictable. Now I was questioning if Amelia was in fact void of any sort of conscience, a sociopath willing to murder her entire family to retain her own freedom?

Jake began to slowly stir moments after Amelia had secured him to the chair. By that point she had left the room and I was well on my way to working the tape from my mouth. I had discovered that I could budge the tape little by little by extending my chin over and over. I wasn't sure what I'd achieve with it gone but it was something to focus on, a welcomed distraction.

Amelia returned with a tray in hand, a tray neatly set up with a pot of tea and a range of accompaniments. She caught me working with the tape as she returned and rolled her eyes, laying the tray upon the desk she then grasped the tape between both hands and pulled it forcefully down. Freeing my mouth she quipped,

"Go ahead and scream," before returning to the tray and pouring herself a cup, "there's nobody left to hear you or help you."

Amelia took the same seat as before, cup and saucer in hand. I searched for a tremor in her hand, some sort of 'tell' for the anxiety I expected she must be feeling. Nothing. She sipped slowly from the cup, watching Jake closely as he came to. I could almost hear her brain ticking over as her many thoughts collided in her mind.

"What are you going to do?" I asked, fear undeniably present in my own voice.

Amelia flinched, visibly irritated by the sound of my voice. The first indication that she was clearly unhappy with the turn of events. And yet with every inch of her being she continued to try to convince me of her calm facade. But I could see through Amelia now, I knew inside of her she was burning with rage, confusion and even a little fear. She had no idea what her next move was and I could only determine that this made her even more dangerous.

"What have you done?" Jake gave, shaking his head in an attempt to clear his disorientation.

Amelia replaced the cup to the saucer, took another deep breath and stood unnaturally upright. Then she began straightening herself by carefully smoothing down her skirt. I realised then that this was her default mode, her bid to stay composed by hiding herself beneath her mask of exemplary perfection.