Chapter Six: Calling Home

A few days passed. It was the day that (Y/N) was supposed to call home. She dialed her parents' home number into the phone. After a few rings, someone picked up.

"Hello?" a voice answered.

"Mom! It's me, (Y/N)!" (Y/N) said.

"(Y/N)! How's life over there in America?" her mother enquired, "We miss you so much!"

"I miss you too," (Y/N) answered.

There was a commotion in the background over the phone.

"Who's over there with you?" (Y/N) asked.

"Everyone," her mother answered, "Goku, Chi Chi, Vegeta, Bulma, Trunks... everyone!"

"Could you pass the phone to Trunks?"

"Sure."

There was some murmuring in the background, but someone soon answered, "(Y/N)? Can you hear me?"

"Of course I can!" (Y/N) answered cheerfully.

"Are you adjusting well over there?" Trunks asked.

"It's a little different though, but I'll get used to it," (Y/N) said.

"Good," he said in a voice that she knew he was smiling, "Oh, there's someone that wants to talk to you too."

There was some more muttering again before a familiar voice answered, "Hey (Y/N)!"

"Goten!" (Y/N) said happily, glad to hear his voice since their last meeting.

"How's life?" he asked.

"Not much," she said, "You?"

"Not good," he answered with a sigh, "Dad wants me to train."

"What about Valese?"

"Didn't I tell you? We broke up. She dumped me."

"Oh... sorry to hear that."

"Nah, it's fine. It helped me to realize that she didn't even like me in the first place, and I wasted my time on her."

(Y/N) wanted to ask him a question, but it might make him realize that she liked him. What if he did not like her back? What if he only thought of her as a friend and nothing more? She decided to risk it by asking him, "Do... do you like anyone at the moment?"

There was a pause.

Goten was curious about why would (Y/N) ask him such a question? Did she really want to know everything he was doing? Or was she suspicious of him? Or worried that his heart might get broken again?

"I guess so," Goten answered, "But I don't know how she feels about me."

(Y/N)'s heart sank. She was sure that girl was definitely not her.

"She probably shares your feelings," (Y/N) said in a choking voice as tears streamed down her cheeks like rivulets while trying to hold back her tears and not make it sound obvious that she was crying.

"(Y/N)? What's wrong?" Goten's concerned voice came, "Are you crying?"

"N-no," she said as she wiped her tears away, "Anyway, I gotta go. Talk to you soon. Bye."

"Wait! (Y/N), I - " Goten began, but was cut off by (Y/N) as she ended the call.

Meanwhile, at the (L/N)s' residence, Goten was still holding the phone to his ear, hearing the beeping sounds on the phone.

"Hey, is it my turn yet?" Bulla asked impatiently, "You've been hogging the phone for quite a while! It's my turn to talk to (Y/N)-chan!"

"She put down the phone," Goten said quietly.

"Darn," Bulla cursed.

A/N: Here's another update! Sowwy if you found it short! I was rather in a rush today. Continue commenting and voting! Sayonara!