THREE

★★★★★

THREE; RILEY

     SHE WAS ASLEEP when it happened. He crept up on her, his cold fingers brushing her warm skin. She shuddered but her body settled, tiny breaths leaving her mouth. He could easily wrap his arms around her neck and strangle the life out of her, watching as she limped down in defeat. Those weren't Victoria's orders, especially when her werewolf sister could arrive any second.

     He snatched one of her shirts from the floor, the maroon colored fabric in his hands. He took a whiff of it, almost choking when the strong scent of wolf filtered through. He decided the material was enough, since Victoria wasn't specific on any type of clothing. Her instructions were crystal clear and Riley wouldn't disobey them.

     He chuckled lowly, Blaire's sleeping form twisting and turning. The wolf inside of her could sense the vampire in the room, but her human senses took over. She played it off as a bad dream. Riley's lips formed into a smirk, bunching the shirt and stuffing it into his pocket. "Don't worry," he grinned wickedly. He touched a framed picture of her and Embry. "She'll kill you. Won't hurt any of your little friends, but it'll be enough."

     He cocked his head when he heard the loud howl of an emerging wolf from the woods. "Goodbye, Blaire. We'll see each other again soon."

★★★★★

     She watched the waves crash against the shore in anticipation, expecting a flash of red before the vampire ripped her head off, grinning victoriously. The memory of her arm pinned against Blaire's windpipe was vivid.

     "Blaire," Embry scolded. He approached his girlfriend's hunched frame, her chin on her knees and hair flowing in the wind. "You can't be out here."

     "It was in my house," she murmured. "The vampire was in my room." Embry sighed, sitting down beside her in the sand. Nobody was in close proximity around this time, and Embry could barely see Blaire in the darkness. Blaire had a temper tantrum before she stormed off to the beach. She almost phased but Embry's soothing words calmed her down enough. The wolf was getting harder and harder to control and Blaire didn't know if she could keep it up anymore.

     "I'm sorry I didn't protect you," he apologized.

     When the word spread around the pack that a bloodsucker had been through Blaire and Dahlia's house, Embry claimed himself responsible. He should've been with her tonight, but she insisted he go home and spend quality time with his mother. If he was at the Thompsen home, the unknown vampire wouldn't dare enter.

     "It's not your fault," she consoled him, spotting the frustration on his face. "It's mine. I should've let you walk me home that day." He grabbed her hand and kissed the back of it. He proceeded to connect their lips and Blaire obliged. He pulled away, his nose touching hers.

     She could feel his breath hit her lips and the way his hair fell over his face. The wind was blowing it in front of his eyes, but Blaire could still make out the flecks of brown. He was a truly beautiful person and Blaire felt content that fate brought them together.

     "It's nobody's fault, okay? It's no one's fault except for that redhead," he mumbled, pecking her lips once more. She was captivating under the moonlight, even when her hair was sticking up in different directions and her eyes were washed over in fear. Embry promised himself he would protect Blaire until his last breath.