First Day of the Last Year

"Aw, look Ellie tengo clase española together."

"Tenemos, Max," Ellie corrected as a matter-of-factly. "It's we have not I have."

"Cállate your mouth," Max retorted, rolling her eyes. She looked back down at her schedule and her eyes brightened. "I guess I'll just have to beat your ass during Martial Arts class then. I'm looking forward to seventh period."

Ellie groaned, "Mel do we have any classes together?"

"Let's see," Melabee said, comparing both their schedules. "We have free period together."

"What period?" Max asked.

"Eighth," Ellie and Melabee replied in unison. Their friend grinned widely at them to which Ellie groaned upon seeing.

"I can't believe this. I have three classes with you!"

"Are you sure you're not secretly straight, Elliot?" Max teased. "I just feel like you're obsessed with me." Ellie contorted his face in disgust and shook his head at her.

"Melabee what are your classes?" Ellie quickly changed the conversation. Melabee handed him the blue paper. Max, whose face was no longer narrowed seductively, peered at the paper.

"Ew, you have Intro to Philosophy for first period," Max commented. "Who has the energy to think about life at six in the morning?"

Melabee shrugged, "I feel like tiredness would actually help with philosophy."

"I feel tired just looking at this," Max went on. "The only exciting subject you have is Track and Field. Nope. Not even that. That's too much running after so much thinking. Oh God, you're going to die, Melabee Samuels."

"Let me see yours," Melabee said snatching Max's schedule. "Wow, I was expecting all easy subjects."

"Hey!" Max cried out, offended. "I'm intelligent."

"Ew, you have Programming for first period," Melabee imitated. "Who has the energy to sit in front of a computer at six in the morning?"

"Better than thinking about matter and energy," Max replied, turning the attention over to Ellie.

"How did I get into this?" asked Ellie in utter amazement.

"You're our amigo de best, Ellie," Max answered.

"What does that even mean?" Ellie muttered under his breath to himself.

"I just hope I don't get anyone I hate in any of my classes," Max continued, fluffing up her curls.

"That's almost impossible," Ellie said.

"Max what exactly is your career choice?" Melabee wondered out loud as she continued to glance at the schedule.

"I don't know. Who cares," Max said absentmindedly. "Probably like a spy or an assassin or something. Something rebellious; an iconoclast with a gun."

Melabee could only blink at her friend.

"You're insane," Ellie said pointedly.

"Alright, guys," Melabee intervened as she eyed Max, who was now turned to Ellie with her arms crossed over her chest. "It's almost six."

"I don't wanna go," Max whined. "I'm not even dressed!"

"You're overdressed, Max," Ellie said. Nevertheless, Max continued to make whining noises as the three got into their own rides, Melabee in her silver Wrangler, Ellie in his black Aventador, and Max in her red convertible Cadillac. The three drove off from Melabee's driveway, Max in the lead and Ellie trailing last, to Dynasty High.