The World Under

• Dedicated to ya'll

The surface of the ocean was rocked with calm waves swaying forth gently towards shores. Although from the outside the vast sea may seem serene, underneath the exterior, it was a different story. It was deemed truth that whenever the waves rolled violently on the surface, it was calm deep into the sea and whenever the waves remained still, beneath thrived with life. It was a matter of balance; when one was this way, the other must be the opposite.

Occupying the depth of the seemingly calm sea, a school of fishes, a pod of dolphins, bundles of poisonous corals, a lone great white, and more, all combined together to form an entirely different world from that of the humans and animals that dwelled on land. However the two worlds, land and sea, were more alike than one may think.

Just as humans were the top of the food chain, there were creatures underwater that held the highest position.

They were known mythologically by humans as merfolks. But merfolks were hardly mythical.

These creatures possessed long powerful tails that shone in the dark depths of the ocean and thrived in the plethora of sea creatures, feeding on small crustaceans, corals, seaweed, and small fishes.

As normal as they may sound, there was one other thing that deemed them to be myths.

While their lower half was a glimmering tail, their upper half resembled that of humans. This strange combination had driven sailors, who had seen them, in madness. The very first supposed sighting of a merfolk dated back to twin human brothers who invented a simple contraption that allowed them to explore the sea; a raft.

Clarence and Philip Dwight were two very curious teenage boys, in whose adventures had lead them not only to many discoveries but also to many troubles. They lived in a secluded small town of five hundred called Wellham with their parents and two younger sisters. Near the town was the bluest body of water the townspeople had ever laid eyes on. It was so vast that they wondered whatever could be living beneath the shimmering aquamarine until one day, a brave young man decided to wade in the water.

Johnny Fitts was the first person to ever set foot into the unknown and unexplored water. He felt the warm soft sand between his toes as he walked towards the sea. Edward Simmons stood behind, warily watching as Johnny continued on until his knees were leveled with the water.

"Johnny I don't like this," Edward called, his eyes glued on his friend.

"You're not the one in the water," Johnny shouted back, still daring to go deeper.

Edward silently watched his brave friend as little by little, Johnny's waist submerged into the water when suddenly, something caught Edward's eyes.

There was a dark shadow beneath the translucent blue water to the left of his oblivious friend, each second getting closer and closer.

"Johnny!" Edward shouted, running to where the water meets the sand. "Get out of the water now!"

"Relax- hey! Something brushed against my leg!"

All of Johnny's bravery vanished and slipped through his fingers like sand when he saw the dark figure circling around him. Whatever it was underneath had a pointy top that looked like blade cutting the water.

"Johnny get out of there!" cried Edward.

"Help me!"

By this point Edward was frantic, his hands pulling at his hair, willing himself to think of something to help his friend.

"Wait here!" he finally screamed as he dashed into the town.

Johnny quickly turned around at the sound of his friend's footsteps fading and realized he was alone. Panicking, he made a decision to run towards the shore.