No. I had to help him. I'm the one who knows more about the universe, Bill answered, looking around. Both the keys and the rift were nowhere in sight, not even under all the rubble.

Sometimes I wonder what would have happened if he didn't ever meet you, Dipper admitted, letting a smile across his features. But then I would never have gotten to know you like this. Allowing the fire to die down a bit, the boy turned back to the lab. He wondered if there was any place else to check if the portal and surrounding areas weren't hiding the rift. Somewhere Ford thought no one would dare even look.

The second floor might have something, Bill told him, starting to head back toward the elevator. And I probably would still be in Gravity Falls anyway if I didn't meet Ford. It's a good place for supernatural creatures like me.

But Stan would have never have come here to create the Mystery Shack. My parents wouldn't have sent Mabel and me for the summer. We wouldn't have met, he justified, waiting for the elevator to start up. And so, in that way, I'm glad. When we save the universe then there'll be nothing to be sorry about. He smiled, the doors creaking open for them. I haven't been in here before.

Think of this room as a history between me and Ford, Bill told Dipper, turning the knob on the door. It was Ford's secret room, though it was dark and hard to see much.

Your . . . history? Dipper wondered, an uncomfortable sensation pricking the back of his senses. Then again, it could have been the spell he was actively performing. But probably not. He slowly went into the room, looking around. Tarps covered almost everything. Should I even—?

Go ahead. They're mostly just tributes of me or whatever in here, Bill said to him, taking off one of the tarps to reveal a tapestry picture of himself. Yep.

The brunet's eyes widened, the image of the demon's triangle form vibrantly showing some kind of deliberate worship. Something awful set in the pit of Dipper's stomach, that something building in strength as he revealed another trophy, another idolizing image of Bill Cipher. The boy frowned despite the glory of it all, that emotion was one he's felt before . . . jealousy, and it was eating up inside of him a million times worse than when Robbie dared set hand on Wendy. Dipper took a step back, expression darkening. The fire in his palm grew in intensity, though his voice was soft. He didn't care that he was speaking. "Bill . . . I can't wait until we ruin all of Ford's plans."

"Why?" Bill asked, feeling the jealousy from Dipper. That was an emotion he knew. All demons knew and had the seven deadly sins so Envy was something he knew well. "What are you so envious about? You know Ford doesn't mean anything to me compared to you."

He tried to smile at that, but the envy was still there, still making him want to destroy every atom that made up his great uncle. To erase any possible line of the past and make it right again. All of it. All of it. He released a heavy breath. "Yeah, but . . . maybe you meant things to him. He . . . he . . ." Dipper turned away, walking straight past the decorations. He had to drop it. Calm down. Realize that all that mattered was the now and Bill and Bill and Bill . . . He thought he might break down in the middle of the floor if his nerves didn't relax.

"Pine Tree, stop! We need to stay on task. There's too much at stake. Everything between me and Ford is in the past, I don't care about him." Bill realized his mistake of bringing the kid in the room. However, Dipper had to accept what had happened and move on. "Come on. I care about you right now. Not Ford. And that should be all that matters. Find the rift!"

Dipper nodded, allowing a laugh to pierce his lips. It was only a little bitter. "Yeah, yeah. You're right. Thanks, Bill." He gave a genuine smile, though the feeling was still there, only a lot less noticeable. It would probably stay with him until they got the job done. He returned to speaking through their private connection. Do you know where he might have hidden it?

No. I last saw it on the other floor, but it's not there anymore. Bill searched around the room for it anyway. Under tarps and on the desk, but it didn't seem to be there.

Dipper attempted to find it too, coming to the end of the room where a big screen was placed. Attached to one of the techie computer boxes was a headset of sorts. What's this?

Bill growled lightly. Don't touch that! It's one of his experiments to get rid of me. He built that just before getting sucked into portal, Bill told him, glaring at the big screen as if it were going to attack them.

Dipper immediately took a step away from the machine. He found himself mirroring Bill's expression. Well, it obviously didn't work if you're still here. And a good thing, too.

It didn't, thankfully, Bill agreed. Let's get out of here. It's obvious Ford knew we would come down here and search for it. He might have it in another room by now, Bill growled again. Crumbling pyramids! "He's one step ahead," the dream demon muttered and started walking back to the elevator.

The tween kept pace with him, casting a lingering, last scowl at the collection in the room. Ford wouldn't win if he could help it. And boy, he really could. They would just have to think up another plan.