I started making my way up the stairs. The sound of numerous footsteps told me that everyone had followed suit.

Whenever we went by a torch it would be swallowed up by someone in the crowd who wanted to hold one.

The climb up the stairs was tedious and becoming exhausting. But I kept going. The sooner I escaped the better.

I heard the quick breathes coming from Skaits beside me. He was just as eager to get off the stairs as I was. I couldn't stop thinking about if someone were to stop us at the door; we would be at a grave disadvantage as all they would have to do was kick us to our doom.

My worst fears almost instantly came to life. I saw shadows making there way down the stairs, stopping to cry out in shock before taking out their swords.

More guards huddled through the door at the top of the stairs, armed and shouting commands at each other.

It was impossible to count how many guards there were but it didn't matter.

I reached into me, drawing the magic I needed.

"Liesma!" I cried out, fire erupting through both hands and blazing at a deadly speed toward the guards. Fire engulfed the sword I was holding, so I muttered, "barjera."

A light blue shield engulfed my sword, protecting it from any harm.

Skaits cried out in panic as flaming bodies fell down the stairs toward us. I realized what I had done was just as stupid as facing them head on.

"Barjera!" I shouted again, putting a barrier up between our group and the people falling down the stairs.

I had to stop at the effort, each body to hit the barrier making me work just as much harder to stop the next. Flames still shot from my hands, going through the barrier and hitting more guards. I was hardly aware of the lightheadedness from all the power.

A hand clutched my wrist, diverting my gaze.

"Turn off the fire and shield on your sword!" Skaits said quickly, "atbrīvot!"

"Atbrīvot," I said immediately, and all the power was released.

To my horror, even the shield I had put up was released, and the guards fell, gaining speed within seconds.

A hand shot out, renewing the shield and I glanced back briefly to see Latvia, her hazel eyes ablaze as she concentrated on her power.

I suddenly felt myself tumbling backwards from lightheadedness.

Skaits still had a hold on my wrist, and flicked me forward with subdued strength, causing me to collide into him, sending us both against the wall beside the stairs.

At the last minute I brought my hands out, blocking myself from colliding with him again as he hit the wall with his back.

Both hands on my wrists, he gazed at me. "You might not want to use so much power. You are admittedly powerful, but no one can produce unlimited magic."

I nodded. "Right. I should have known that." I released one of my arms from his grasp and brought him away from the wall with a hand to keep him steady.

"It's funny how quickly the roles can change," Skaits said with a grin.

I smiled. "Indeed."

"You guys ready to move on or shall we just frolic on this step?" Sasha's voice demanded from behind.

Somehow I didn't take offense to her comment. Instead, I nodded in agreement before turning away and making my way up the stairs again.

Latvia released the barrier, the bodies on a standstill on the steps they were halted on.