Chapter 5

"Get up! Get up!" The Head Doctor screamed, poking her head into Lucy's ward.

"Who's ready to go to Paradise?"

The children screeched and tumbled out of their beds, excitement vaporizing their sleepiness.

Lucy sat up, tired, and rubbed her eyes. It was cold, and she didn't want to get up. Even if she was going to Paradise.

Lucy looked at the sunlight just right of her bed. It was a delicate shade of yellow, the color of the morning sun. It shone on the walls, which were the color of cut grass.

The Head Doctor stepped into the ward, where only Lucy was left.

"C'mon, Lucy! Don't you want to go to Paradise?"

"But the sunshine's yellow. And the walls are green." Lucy said, sliding out of bed.

She kneeled on the tiled floor and touched the patch of sunlight. It filled her with a pleasing warmth.

The Head Doctor chuckled.

"Well, you're certainly seeing more color than I am today. Everything's black and white for me today. Brrr." She shuddered.

"It's a little bit warm for me today." Lucy said, standing up. "I bet it'll be warmer in Paradise, though. You won't be cold anymore."

"I'm not going to Paradise with you." The Head Doctor replied.

"Why not?"

"I have a duty to the sick kids of the Perimeter. All of us doctors do. The reason you kiddos are going to Paradise is because you're cured."

"Oh." Lucy's stomach growled. "Are we getting breakfast before we go?"

The Head Doctor shook her head. "No. There'll be enough food in Paradise to satisfy your needs."

"Alright," Lucy said, standing up and walking out of the ward, memorizing every detail about it.

Goodbye, Ward.

The Head Doctor shut the door behind Lucy and walked her down the hall to the room Lucy saw the previous night. Her ruddy skin stood out in the colorless, surgical environment.

As they walked, Lucy smiled and looked happy, masking the growing sense of dread inside her.

This is fake. It isn't this easy to get to Paradise.

Something's wrong.

They reached the room, and the Head Doctor pulled open the door. Inside stood all the kids in Lucy's ward, buzzing with joy. A nurse stood by the machine, taking the caps off the attachments and pulling two chutes out of the sides of the cabinet.

"Lucy's here," The Head Doctor announced. The children fell silent. "Let's get started."

The nurse smiled at the kids.

"Who wants to go first?"

Her smile reminded Lucy of a viper. At least she thought it was called a viper.

The children threw their hands into the air and bounced.

"Me! Me!"

"Pick me!"

"I'm going first!"

Lucy remained silent and slid her hand into the air as slow as she could.

Please don't pick me. I don't want to go first.

The nurse pointed at Lucy's friend, the boy who showed her the machine last night.