Chapter 15. Silas

Start from the beginning

"The academy would never allow for her to endanger herself, all her missions will be well planned and she will have full backing. They wouldn't risk losing their most important asset." Sean added.

"She is not an asset." Luke barked.

"You are an asset, every one of you. And like it or not, right now she's worth ten of you." Owen told them quite seriously while I blushed.

"So, you are planning on joining the academy?" North asked, turning to me.

Looking at him I answered sincerely. "I think I would like that. It was what I wanted as a child. But I am not sure that I can do that right now, these past six years... they were rough... I need some time to rest and recharge my batteries." I told them, hesitantly. It was all the truth, but not the whole one. Another reason for my hesitancy in joining was that once upon a time a wanted to join their team, and maybe I still wanted that. But the question is, do they all still want me? And now there is North too, apparently.

Looking back at Owen I see him studying me, with a calculating look in his eyes.

"How about if we do it like this: take all the time you need to decide. Settle your personal life first. You can join our team sometimes, in few of our missions, so that you can get a feel for what we usually do, and then you can make your decision." He said.

I thought about it. I would be working with them, like a team. Maybe if they liked the way I worked they'd let me stay with them. Luke seemed to want me to stay already, I just had to convince the others.

Giving Owen my best smile I told him "I am willing and I will obey, Mr. Blackbourne."

He gave me his millimeter smile and stood up to leave, dragging Sean along who was protesting quite vehemently that he wanted to spend more time with "his Pookie". Soon it was just me, Luke and North in the house.

"Well, what now Cupcake?" Luke asked me but before I could tell him something North butted in.

"I'm going over to Silas'." He said, putting his hands in his pockets. "You guys want to come too?" he asked

Cocking my head to the side in confusion I asked "Who is Silas?"

The two boys smirked at me.

"My friend. You will see." Said North before turning around and walking out of the house.

I looked at Luke asking if we should follow with my eyes. He looked at me and shrugged, as if saying he didn't care one way or another, but I could see a hopeful glint in his eyes. Whoever this Silas guy was, he wanted me to meet him.

I turned and walked out the door with him following behind.

Outside I could see a motorcycle parked on the front drive along with another car I had seen Luke driving early in the day. I had never been on one of those before.

"Is that yours" I asked North.

He looked at me with a raised eyebrow and hummed a simple "Uh huh."

"Take her for a ride, North." Luke said. "I will take the car."

Snapping my eyes in North's direction I asked him hopefully "You'd let me?"

He looked uncomfortable, with his hand behind his neck, rubbing, but he nodded and said, "If you want..."

Of course I want! After six years I am finally able to live and enjoy life. I wanted to experience all life could offer and that included riding on a bike.

I didn't tell them that, thought. I didn't want them to pity me or feel like they had to entertain me. I just nodded and gave them my best smile.

North smiled then, just a little. It was so slight but it softened his whole face. The sight of his lips like that almost made my heart stop. This boy was actually very handsome when you weren't paying attention at how intimidating he also was.