Handcuffed to Zander

Chapter 16: Safe Way to Go Down

Song chapter: Kiss it Better by Rihanna

Aria Evans

As the footsteps got closer I held my breath. My hands were subconsciously holding onto something smooth, my hold tightening by each second. I was terrified, scenarios were forming in my head of when we would get caught.

The person made their way up the stairs and into the hallway, walking towards Dylan's room. My eyes closed shut and my teeth clenched. At this moment I was praying for a miracle, because I had no idea how we would explain why we broke into his home. I couldn't get caught, especially not with Zander.

The door knob rattled and my heart dropped. As I waited for the door to open, it didn't, silence soon followed. After a while, footsteps were heard down the hall towards another room. The person opened the door down the hall and soon closed it leaving me to release a huge breath of relief.

"Oh thank god."

It must of been one of Dylan's brothers.

"Okay, you can let go of me now."

My eyes quickly opened and I released my hold on an annoyed Zander. I nervously chuckled and helped him straighten out his wrinkled shoulder. I guess I was too scared to process what I was doing at the moment.

"Can we just go now?"

I swiftly nodded and quietly creaked the door open. I inspected the room and found it empty, to my relief. I led Zander out the closet door and towards the door leading to the outside balcony. It was one of Dylan's and I's favorite spots to just talk about anything. There has been so many deep conversations held here, one of which had to do with my parents never being around that much.

"You can not be serious?"

I huffed and stopped my movements, wondering to myself why I brought an annoying boy with me.

"What is it this time Zander?"

"Are you expecting me to jump off a balcony?"

I merely shrugged, opening the glass door and leading Zander to join me.

"Better to jump now than to be caught later."

He scoffed, shaking his head with fury. He grumbled incoherent things to himself as he made his way towards the short, white fence.

My eyes widened and my hand shot up, I waved it around like a maniac trying to warn him.

"Um Zander, I don't think you should -" 

"Fine I'll jump! Just be quiet before I change my mind."

I walked towards him to try to stop him but before I knew it, he had jumped. I heard a squeal then a thud, followed by some groaning.

"Zander!"

I quietly but quickly shut the balcony door, running towards the long rope tied up to the corner of the balcony, making my way down.

Dylan had tied it up there so I could sneak up and down late at night when I needed to talk. It was also kind of his getaway to sneak out of the house once in a while.

Once my feet touched the ground I ran towards the lump on the floor. Zander was holding his nose with a pained expression.

"Hey, you okay?"

He waved me off and nodded.

"Yeah, I'm fine."

I crouched down and examined his face, pulling his hands away from his nose.

"No you're not, you're bleeding."

He held a little smile, holding his nose once again. 

"Could of told me there was a safe way to get down here." 

I quickly looked down, feeling my cheeks blush bright red with guilt.

"Yeah, sorry about that."

When I looked back up he quickly held my gaze. I could see in his eyes that he found my embarrassment amusing.

We held on to each other's gazes, not finding a single reason to look away. Not even when his nose was slightly dripping with blood.

And finally a honk broke my thoughts and I found myself staring at Dylan's car heading towards the driveway.

I quickly grabbed Zander's hand and ran towards his car, yelling at him to step on it.