Not All Little Girls Wanted Unicorns

Start from the beginning

“Ok, what is your family like?” he asked. “Surely you are from a big family, probably all loud and boisterous… you were the little princess…”

I frowned and felt my body went limp.

“I’m taking your silence means I hit it on the target?” he says, amused.

“Not all little girls wanted unicorns.” I mumbled. “You aren’t even near close…”

Then I shrugged and shook my head, not believing I was actually considering of doing this-

“I barely see them now-“ I snorted, “never saw them even when I was a kid…”

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*flashback~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

It was my sixth birthday and it was already dinner time. I sat in the dining table, staring at the emptiness of it. One of the junior butlers- that was what my mom called them- wheeled in a television set and out butler switched it on.

Back then, my mom was one of those rich wives who does out reach programs and stuff for the less fortunate. Today she was at a benefit dinner with my older brother, representing our family and company who was going to be one of the major benefactors of the said project.

It was for children who had lost there parents at the war. We were to give them scholarships and even had a house built for those who had no more families to go to.

The television aired a live telecast of the event and I was currently watching my mom giving her speech.

“And as if this day cannot be more perfect, especially for a very special person in my life…” I sat up, hope lit in me and I started kicking my legs underneath the dining table.

I was so sure that she was going to say hi to me and greet me happy birthday, proving that she didn’t forget.

“My son…” my heart fell on the ground and through it, until it landed in hell where it slowly rotted and burned to oblivion. “Joshua Alexander Knight…” the camera turned to the familiar boy I called my big brother, Xander. “My son Xander had just sold his first painting this morning and had made the check out for tonight amounting to a hundred fifty thousand dollars.”

The audience applauded while he nodded to say thanks.

“Justice…” Henry took my hand and I looked down at him, teary eyed.

“She didn’t really forget did she?” I asked, then he pulled me into a hug. No he wasn’t gay this time, well, I think he wasn’t.

Back to serious issue, my mom forgetting my birthday. I mean, seriously?! Who forgets the day they went into labor and pushed a human being out into their world?! Really!!!

Then again, I shouldn’t really be expecting much from her. She was never a mother to me anyway, not being melodramatic or anything. But to her, I was the unwanted, probably, unplanned kid, who she now set aside and left to the help to be raised.

My nanny would always tell me how good my mother is. That she is helping a lot of people, and Xander is helping her. My lucky brother who grew up knowing what mom’s attention and time felt.

I was the girl, she was suppose to be buying me clothes, making mom and daughter bonding, talking about boys while we have our hair and nails done. But no, she was the type who always want to be in the center of everything and now she is.

I hope it’s everything she thought it is. Cause hell will I have another conversation with her about taking over for her. she never even got to be a mother in the beginning, then I’ll be the worthless daughter she had whined to her friends about.