Chapter 1 - Ceasing Happiness

Twinkle twinkle little star, how I wonder what you are. Up above the sky so bright, like a soul lost in the night. Twinkle twinkle, little star, how I wonder what you are...

My little, pink music box shut with a thud. Mommy said that wasn't the right rhyme, but who was I to question my beautiful, pink music box, my final parting gift from the person who loved me dearest in the world. She left when I was no more than seven years old. Small, hungry and lonely were not fit for a girl like me. I liked having someone make me warm milk on a cold day. Someone who would hug me at the most unimportant times. Someone who I could share my deepest, darkest secrets with.

Someone who would love me.

But that was all gone now. My mother left me with no one. I didn't have my father since he took off when I was a mere baby. I had to look after myself. You must think I'm strange to be saying that. A seven year old girl, looking after herself in a dangerous London! Alas, that was true. Until Mary and John found me.

They treated me like their own daughter. Fed me, cared for me and loved me. I couldn't be happier. Now I lived in the mansion with them. It was a grand mansion too. Fancy kitchens and bathrooms, divine food and magnificent bedrooms. I couldn't ask for more. And I wouldn't. My room was amazing. Pale cream walls and a vast oak bed. My windows were the best part though. Sky blue, silk curtains flew in the frosty air. The fog that painted the glass emphasised on how cold it was. Winter, after all was cold. My mahogany bookcase stood the corner of my room. Packed with paper manuscripts, it provided me with my greatest pleasure of reading. I was content with life. No, I was happy. And I hoped that this happiness never ceased to exist.

"Darling, please come downstairs!" Mary called. She didn't want me to call her mother as she knew it would arouse memories from my real mother.

I placed my music box ever so carefully on my bedside table, its usual place, and pulled a woolly cotton jumper over my thin blouse. Then I made my way down the ginormous staircase, which I found myself panting at the end of, and walked over to the main room.