Chapter 16: Hey Kids, Want To See A Magic Trick?

Start from the beginning

"Alright. What-" Like lighting you remembered an important piece of information. Maybe . . . just maybe, he'd been overlooked. After all, he wasn't much of anything when glanced over. Besides, he wasn't that well known, was he? "Hey, Wade?"

"'Sup?"

"You know Spider-Man, right?"

"Sure do, Ice Box."

"Think we can get his help?"

"We can find out."

"Great." You smiled slightly. One thing better than usual. "Keep him in mind, alright? This is getting to be a gigantic mess and I need everyone on my side that I can get." Your gaze shifted to look Wilson in the eye - as much as you could - and you became deadly serious. "You're . . . with me on this, right? I mean, you're not gonna . . . ditch me or anything?"

Deadpool held a hand over his chest, put his guns away in rapid succession and fell to the floor, as if hurt. "Me? I would never!"

Your laugh was anything but dark and sinister as you stood to your feet and grinned, bigger than you had in about a week. "Then let's get this party started."

Which meant, of course, finding a place to lie low and then taking a long, long nap.

***

Your eyes flickered open and you found yourself crouching in the safety of the shadows.

A voice reached your ears; it sounded eerily familiar . . . and if your hunches were correct . . . well. You were in some trouble. That was the plan.

"I started this company. I am the sole leader, the entire rule and commander of this operation. I hope you realize what happens if you . . . mess up."

There was hasty apology, muttering about 'no further failure will happen, sir' and a door that was shut so quietly you almost hadn't heard them leave. Backing further into the shadows, you felt your hand brush against the wall and that's when you froze, literally, in shock. Were you wrong? The wall certainly felt real. You mouthed, a frown forming. This place was unnatural, not like anything you remembered. Worse still, you felt particularly shady, the way you were acting. And yet, you knew standing up would mean something dire.

However, you didn't even need to stand up before the first voice spoke again, sounding more than a bit angry. Ticked. Pissed. Frustrated. And still very familiar. Were you right after all? "You know, (your name), eavesdropping is quite rude, especially when you're not invited." A black, stretchy net landed over your form and you immediately began to struggle as fear set in, but you calmed yourself. No time to panic. In and out, you thought. Everything was going according to plan.

Your ice shot the net into tiny bitty pieces and you stood, triumphant, defiant of your captor. "Fight me," you said, snickering and summoning an ice shield. You made the ground shake slightly, warning the figure of your power. "I wouldn't, if I were you." He needed to know who was boss.

"Wouldn't you, though?" The lights flickered and with a mechanical grin he stepped forward. Your frown turned into a growl. "I'll take your offer, by the way. What better way to subdue you in fear - make you swear your allegiance to me - then here and now?"

You were right. He was exactly were you wanted him, and you were exactly were he wanted you.

Checkmate, you thought. On the outside, you replied: "Bring it on, Devil," came your sneer. Ice sparked at your fingertips and for once, you felt alive. It was like a day ago at the train tracks, where you'd been practically dead and yet living. It felt great. Hot blood rushed through your veins and your heart raced faster than you could ever remember it beating. You grinned at him, cracked your knuckles and fire lit in your eyes because you remembered your promise and made sure he would too. Brief fear flashed in his own. Then a smirk.