1. Alex's POV

My school allows three free periods each day, and the classes are all fun and interesting, compared to what I learned about the school system of the old days in history class. We have classes like "Gender Discussions," "Solutions Throughout History" (it's a class where instead of just learning about what a certain civilization or person did, we are lead to the information, through questions and a display of whatever materials they had, like one time, instead of just learning what the Ancient Egyptians did for irrigation, a dilemma was proposed to us - that the water they used was below the ground level - and then we thought about what they would've made to solve that problem), and "Literature, Film, and Episode Appreciation Club" - it's basically fandom club, which is totally awesome to have at a school, right?   

Right now, I'm sitting at one of the circular tables by the huge panoramic window just outside the school mall. It only has stores that sell school things, like solar (obviously) phone chargers and maybe you can rent a pencil or calculator if you forgot one at home, and like, health food stores. But the health food stores are really good, not like the cafeteria trash from years ago, so I don't have a problem. I have my computer open, I'm doing research for my latest project in one of my science classes. It's on genetics, so I'm doing a project about Genetic War, one of the most popular tourist (and local) attractions in this city. 

The reason I'm describing what's so different about this school is because there are still some schools that are behind in their way of teaching, so for those people, who live in the outer states, I'm giving a descriptor. 

Genetic War is amazing, it's the reason this city, Anima, is so cool. Lovingly nicknamed "the prehistoric dogfight party," it's an organization that has been free to create whatever species hybrids and creations they want, as long as they use them for human entertainment and benefit. The "human entertainment" is the popular part. (The "human benefit" comes when they sell the Predators to the military.) They host shows, live, where you can sit in seats in a short but long arena, and watch, either with your own eyes or, depending on where the action is, huge screens above the arena, those hybrids and creations fight to the death. There are teams, usually 2 Predator teams and 2 Prey teams. They have goofy names, like BunnyHuman, and BisonMan. But it gets its nickname from the times that it had prehistoric animals fight, like Hyaenodon and Dire Wolf. It's so interesting, you can learn so much about biology and what it looks like when species' behaviors, traits, and attributes are combined. Like Bunny's long ears and therefore good hearing, plus Human's brain size and hand skill, and Bunny's good legs for jumping plus Human's muscle strength. Even though it's "advertised" as "underground" for romanticism, it is highly popular and widely accepted. Anima wouldn't be the same without it. Genetic War hosts its shows every two weeks. People are starting to buy tickets for the next one. I will too. I saw one when I ways younger and I loved but for some reason never went again. I'm going to this match, definitely, this one's Supernatural Edition - Wolfman vs Chupacabra.   

From here, by my view out the window, you can see what Anima is. There are parks everywhere, everything is raised - the schools, the malls, the apartment, the parks, everything. Of course, there are underground levels, which is where Genetic War is, and my school in particular, but I mean to say, here, we use from ground level to the highest buildings can go. Our city is multi-level. The architecture is very connected and sculptural. It's beautiful here. We are ecologically responsible and always coming up with new ways to further society. Even in poorer, chaotic, outer America, the death penalty has ceased to exist. People are kinder. 

To other humans, I guess. I mean, everyone's vegetarian because it was revealed meat is bad for you, and so the animals that have been used domestically have been blended quite nicely back into the wilderness, but the Genetic War is a pretty big industry, they even have "branches" in other cities, so...

Well, we've been told the animals used for GW aren't really...aware enough. Like they don't sense their death is coming, they just do what they do, and we get to watch. So it's okay. They don't really need mourning. They're like video game characters, we just play with them and they don't really feel enough to know what's going on. I'm not going to say they don't feel pain - part of the fun is watching writhe around while trying to fight each other off. The game lasts until there's only one team of Predator, or Prey, left. 

But anyways! My third free period is over. Now it's two Electives, and then we all go home. Except for those kids with after-school classes. But I don't have any.

"Hey!" SS says brightly, walking up to my table.

She does Chemical Reactions with me, that's my first Elective. All the classes here are like university classes, they're really specific within the class "genre" that they are. We have multiple classes for every "basic" subject you can think of – and Chemical Reactions is basically where you sit down at a table with a bunch of friends, and try to cause chemical reactions – obviously. A lot of funny stuff happens in that class.

SS has caused most of it. She ignores danger warnings on certain bottles. Nothing that bad has happened to her, really, but sometimes bubbles foam up and start popping when she doesn't want them to. The only other person who laughs at her more than I do is Duke, who's walking with us to class. The hallway is mirrored, like a fun house. My school is awesome.

"Wait, wait," Duke says, "Are you a girl or not?"

"Duke!" SS says "You're a boy, right, I'm a demigirl, and Alex is agender!"

"SS, it's fine," I say, not angry like her but instead laughing at Duke's bad memory, "He's just horrible at memorizing, he's not completely horrible."

We stop and look in the mirrors. I suppose I "look" like a girl – I have long brown hair, caramel eyes, and a rounded chin – and I don't have a problem with it, I'll admit I love being called pretty, but in my opinion, gender doesn't exist, so I'm agender. Understand? Good.

Duke has shaggy but short brown hair, slightly bushier eyebrows than normal, a kind smile, and a mischievous twinkle in his eyes.

SS' hair is brilliant. One half of her long hair is ocean blue, the other pale light green, and it's always done up in the high ponytail. Her eyes are black. She twirls her hair with a finger, and we keep walking.