The Flu

The air was cold and fresh snow was fallen around the forest floor. The group had to stop, for Carl has a fever. Probably from the nasty weather. Carl leans against a tree, coughing into his arm.

"This place isn't safe. It's to open...to visible." Michone quietly says, looking around the forest for any walkers who could be making there way towards us. Carol grabs a blanket out of her bag and drapes it across Carl's shoulders. He nods at her, his way of saying thanks. I readjust the gun in my hands, looking at my poor boy.

"Y/n, what do you think?" Rick turns to me, looking desperate for a place to stop.

"Michonne is right but I'm not sure how far Carl can go anymore. We could try to find a building or at least a bed of close trees or even a hollowed out rock to be against, so nothing can crawl up behind us."

"Glenn and I can go up ahead. We can search for some place and come back if we find something." Maggie's country accent tells us.

"Nah, nah. There's not point in putting ya in danger." Daryl shakes his head.

"He's right. If Maggie and Glenn go then we may as well all go." Carol rubs Carl's back gently as he closes his eyes.

"Carl's fever is going to get worse if we don't stop soon." Glenn points out.

Carl bends over, vomiting bile and the small amount of water he had earlier. His hand is pressed against the tree as he spews onto the leaves and snow below. I hurriedly walk past Rick and Carol and rub Carl's shoulders and back in large circles.
"We have to stop," I say to the group before turning my head to Carl and saying,
"Don't push yourself to much."

Michonne starts to run ahead and Rick puts a hand out to stop her,
"Michonne!"
Rick mutters a cuss word before running a hand through his curly hair. Carl stands up and falls back against me, groaning quietly. I move the sweaty strands of hair out of his eyes and take his hat off his head so it doesn't fall off or anything else.

"Where is she going?" Daryl walks angrily towards Rick.

"We'll wait for her. She knows what she's doing." Rick motions for everyone to stay put and sit down. I take a blanket out of my backpack and set it down on the snow for Carl to sit on. He does so, leaning against the bark of the tree. Maggie sits down as well and holds Judith close to her body for warmth. We want the little baby girl to stay as far away from Carl as possible, not wanting her to get sick.

"After we find a place to rest we should set out to find a store or pharmacy for medication." Carol speaks to the group. I feel Carl's head fall on my shoulder.

"It could just be the flu." Glenn shrugs.

"The flu isn't like what it used to be. There's no medication now, no bed rest, no chicken soup. You have to keep pushing yourself now. That's not good on the body or the sickness protruding it." Carol tells him, looking at Carl. His complexion is pale, his eyes bloodshot, his skin glossed with sweat. I move the blanket more securely around his shoulders and the front of his body.
After a few more minutes, Rick gets anxious and starts pacing the forest floor.

"Dad, you walking back and forth is going to be the thing that attracts the walkers." Carl mutters, his clammy fingers intertwined with mine.

"He's right." Michonne walks up, her sword being carried by her side.
"Follow me."

***

After about a mile of Carl leaning on my shoulder and limping most of the way, we finally reach an old shed that looks like it was used as a base for someone else a few months back. It was almost like a barn.