Chapter XIV

Squinting my eyes as I gazed around the long table we were sitting at, I took in the current situation. The table was prepared for a huge feast – Long cloths in bright colors hung from the table, and a wide variety of foods were placed strategically according to where we were sitting.

For Darron, there was a large selection of various rocks, and for mostly everyone else, there was – food. There were huge platters of both meat and vegetables. Apparently the Kokiri had never heard of different courses because there were also pastries, cakes, and a number of satisfying desserts – Huge, towering cheesecakes dribbling with warm strawberry sauce were sights to behold from the grand table; delicious pies made from different fruits native to the Kokiri Forest were eaten quite quickly; there was also this type of pastry made from soft dough and honey.

Freshly picked fruit, bitter coffee, sweet tea, and more were served once the meal was over. Lights from cook stoves and campfires flickered and burned long into the night, and the sound of merry laughter and chatter could be heard throughout the whole forest. Smiling, I listened to a petty fight between the twins, Aqua and Marine. They were both terribly stubborn and wouldn't submit to anyone or admit defeat. It was a shame that they were so much alike – Or maybe not. I had to admit, their fights were quite entertaining.

Saria and Mido talked amiably across the table, catching up on everything that had gone on since Saria had gone to the Forest Temple. I wasn't sure why she had gone to the Forest Temple in the first place but chose not to ask. The Kokiri were fascinated with Darron, marveling at his body structure and the way he could scarf down tons of rock.

The three true Sheikah (Impa, Kron, and Zilla) were all speaking seriously with completely straight faces. I had learned that both Impa and Kron were very serious while Zilla was the more relaxed and playful of the three. Sheik was speaking with Cove, a forkful of that cheesecake in one hand.

I was once again the only one that felt totally alone. Sitting here with all these friends yet feeling isolated. The mark on my hand glowed comfortingly, and I attempted to smile. "Hey, Link!" one of the Kokiri exclaimed, gesturing to Darron who was currently eating a particularly large rock. "Look at him! He's like a freak of nature or something!"

I cracked a very fake grin and nodded in acknowledgement. "I know, right?" Bringing my homemade mug to my lips, I drank the bitter coffee. A million thoughts were running through my head a mile a minute, and I had had no time to process what had happened in the past few days – or was it weeks? – Or months? I had lost track of time since we had left the Fortress, and now, all I wanted to do was lie in the sand, bask in the sunshine, and be with my family. Scratch that, I didn't want to be with my family if that meant Ganondorf. I could live without seeing him for a while that's for sure.

Sighing to myself, I forced myself to think of happier thoughts. Unfortunately, that didn't help because thinking of happier thoughts caused me to become sadder. Happier thoughts to me were Zelda, Aziz, Nabs, Nabila, sand, the Fortress, Relena, my friends back home, and familiar sights. I wanted to go home – now.

I glanced down at my feet; I had been wearing the same boots for however long we had been gone from the Fortress. Scuffed and worn down, these boots had been all over Hyrule by now – the Fortress and the Gerudo Desert, the Zora Domain, Death Mountain and Goron City, Kakariko Village, and now the Lost Woods and Kokiri Forest. Note to self – Never ever mess with cuccos again.

Standing, I pushed my wooden chair in, leaving the large table and the warmth and joy that surrounded it. The forest seemed welcoming, and I began walking around, seeing as no one had noticed that I was gone. My eyes blurred and kept track of all the shadows dancing in their spotlight. The sunlight had stopped streaming through the trees because the sun had since gone down. It wasn't the day anymore, but it wasn't just quite the night either – It was that mystical time that Sheik had called twilight.