Chapter 10~ No Place Like Home

"No place like home is right." Nathan thought to himself as he sailed into Baltimore. It wasn't Norfolk but it was something at least.

"Civilization at last." Chandler sighed, echoing his thoughts.

"Finally, it's all over." Dr. Scott murmured.

As they tied up to the pier, Nathan met the gaze of another ship across the harbor. He straightened up, straining at his mooring lines. Chandler chuckled. "Go on." He told his ship.

That was all the encouragement Nathan James needed as he raced to greet his mate. New York leaned into his fierce nuzzle with a purr to match his, eyes closing in contentment.

"I didn't think I'd see you again!" Nathan cried happily.

New York didn't share his enthusiasm. "Nathan you shouldn't have come. You and your crew, you have to get out of here. You have to leave now!" She warned.

"What, why? New York what's been going on?" He asked.

That's when he smelled it. The smoke from the factory blew on the winds. He raised his head to taste the air and shuddered in revolution.

"The cities literally being powered by the bodies of the dead." New York said. "Anyone who's deemed unworthy is sent to Olympia to be killed and cremated.

"Genocide." Nathan hissed, eyes flaring.

"Nathan you have to leave." New York whispered.

"And leave you behind?" Nathan asked.

"I have no fuel. No way of escaping." She replied.

"I'll give you some of my own. We'll run down to Norfolk and figure things out from there."

New York's tears began to fall. "I'm sorry, I'm so sorry." She whispered. "I've distracted you too long."

"What do you..." Nathan began as he spotted the red laser on his hull. He glared at his mate. "You tricked me!" He roared.

"I'm sorry. I tried to warn you." She whimpered, backing away. Nathan could see now the men that swarmed her as they began to swarm him. He tried to fight back but they managed to overpower him and put a muzzle on him. They tied him tight to the dock. Teeth bared and tongue flicking out through the muzzle bands he swore silently that he would, he would break free one day and these people would pay. Oh how they would pay!